A British soldier remembers Trieste in 1946

Regole del forum
Collegamenti al regolamento del forum in varie lingue ed alle norme sulla privacy in italiano.
PeterG
Vilegiante
Vilegiante

Messaggio da PeterG »

Not so sure about Jung's sincronicity, but many thanks for your very warm welcome, Macondo. This certainly seems a very friendly place :-)

AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

Hello Peter,

welcome on board :-D

refolo

a british soldier remember trieste.

Messaggio da refolo »

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi! Peter.....

I did receive your E-Mail, I didn't want to interfered among you soldiers,
and have had enough from others.
The reason I wrote, is because I can't stand liars. People are collecting information, like collecting stamps.
I was there, so, for me, my words are good enough. Mr Dudley was reading, as usual something writen after the war. I can tell you how many version are around the world, I even found manuscripts in Washington DC.
Ron was in Trieste not for long, unfortunatly for us, but I am happy for him. What happen after 1947 it was worse that the London Blitz.
I was telling my husband about you guys, doesen't matter if it's over 61 years, certain things you never forget. He's been telling me about his 23 months in a Concentration Camp, and I been explain to him everything happen, during his absense from Trieste.
I am glad you are with us now. At least we fits almost as a good old friends........
As far as venetian influence-Lombard (your part of the woods???) we 're not that bad.
And last but not least, my family went to London-Mancester-Scotland, ( my son in law is from Wales -Canadian-Franch ancestors), and of course Trieste, and believe me I am proud, even him that he never knew about my city he has change attitude towards us.
By the way, don't mind my bad grammar, still I am learning. if you were with me last friday doing shopping you could have learn at least
128 different languages and dialect.....between Kalimera-buenas dias-thanke you can picture our style of life in Down Under.

Maria aka refolo

ffdt
Eximio
Eximio

Re: a british soldier remember trieste

Messaggio da ffdt »

Hallo Peter :-) welcome "A Trieste" ;-D
macondo ha scritto:[...]I don't believe it's a coincidence, as for a mere 'acasual chance'. I firmly believe this is another example of Jung's meaningful 'sincronicity', as we are probably tapping to a bank of collective consciousness of which we have very little knowledge.
Macondo, while I feel that the 'sincronicity' you're talking about is a true phenomenon (I did find evidences of it many times in my life) I guess that this time it's a bit more a matter of shared interests: this don't eliminate the 'sincronicity', but reduce its influence in this case. If I may, I like to point out that both Maria, Ron and Peter are web surfers that have a particular interest on the WWII at Trieste ... this is of some importance from a statistical point of view. I'm unable to determinate how much important, numerically speaking, but surely not unimportant at all :-)

Anyway I'll read with interest when you'll share with us your knowledge about the Jung's sincronicity :-)

Ciau

Franco

refolo

a british soldier remembering trieste

Messaggio da refolo »

Dear Franco,

You are right, surfing is one thing, ( I wish I was in Hawaii) but what happen before this PC. has nothing to do with it. I am around only since the end of 1999. I saw myself in hospital with a heart attack. As a reward of my prayer to someone, which I do believe completly, I purchesed a Computer. What happen after that is a progressive daily routine, based on what did happen before 1999. I can, tell you, that the cosmic section of our life is very well distribuited among living. We are different like the fingers of our hand. One small one tall and the rest of it still to discover.

If it wasn't for the opera ""CARMEN"" I wouldn't never pursuite the matter, after all; who's RON? a person, a soldier in our city after the end of the war. We had so many, thousand, good and bad, drunk or sober, my own father was in charge of putting the nasty piece of still under their booths. My mother washing and ironing for the Troops, me sticking the numbers on Rugby players jumpers, until my fingers was bleeding.
We had a communication with lots of them, without been able to communicated, language was the major problem, but with smiles and good manner we managed to understand each others, and beside? money speaks thousand words.

Of course...now is better than before, we found ourselves, we are again thousand around the world, good bad and ""OLD"" which is the bigest problem of them all. ""OLD"" this is a nasty word, with a pinch of sarcasm. Beside, if you want to bay something you always click under shopping, but never under, cow or veal or rabbit.
we are wiser, and still, our brain works in a misterious way. I get on with that, with the spirit of being young again. "I KEEP THE WORD SYNCRONICITY ALIVE"

Maria aka Refolo

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

If it wasn't for the opera ""CARMEN"" I wouldn't never pursuite the matter, after all; who's RON? a person, a soldier in our city after the end of the war. We had so many, thousand, good and bad, drunk or sober, my own father was in charge of putting the nasty piece of still under their booths
Dear Maria...... :roll:
I thought that when I came on this site you would give me all the answers to the questions you had thrown up in your first article, but I see that I will just have to keep on probing :(

You mentioned much earlier on this thread (and again above) that your father was a cobbler.
I am mystified as to how he would have put studs on to army boots and particularly on mine...

I also hope that in your description of the troops above that I came under the category of good and sober, if not my family is going to start worrying again :-D
Ciau

Ron

refolo

a british remembers trieste

Messaggio da refolo »

Hei! Ron....don't get me wrong, I don't think for a moment that I offended you?

No one, more than Triestino knows how to be drunk. I expressed myself in a matter of speach. Explaing the life of people in general.

I said , that we did have a very bad times. Without knowing others, we try to be closed to everything and everybody, we did appreciated every moment. Dont forget, that not everyone in this forum are old.

Some of them, wasen't even born. What we put in writing is only words related to what we have encounter 61 years ago.

Ciao Maria aka refolo

refolo

british soldiers remember trieste

Messaggio da refolo »

Dear Ron,
as I have promissed to you I will send a couple of photos, if you are interested.
two years ago I met an ex comrade of you, Patrick Leggett aka Paddy, married to a triestino lady since march 1947. I believe he was a sweeper too. At that time I couldn't have known the word steering oar.

As usual, because of my age, no one at that time do remember me, when I did explain the wedding section that I used to attend, he become very interested. ( I used to pop up in every different Chuches).
He went back to England a month after the wedding and unfortunatly migrate to New Zealand, he had follow his only bros. two military brothers not other relatives, no children, so they were at least next to the only member of the family.

I kept in touch with them, we saw each other again in Fiji's, sad, he died last year and his wife at the begging of this year, fantastic people, in they 80's but going on 60.

Still nice to remember

Maria aka refolo

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

Maria, et al

For a period of two years, namely 2004 to 2006, I posted more than a hundred stories to the BBC WW2 Archives. http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/user ... 0216.shtml

These stories, most of them illustrated with a photo from my Army Album, were a collection of memories of events during the period 1939 to 1947 and some of them related to my stay in Trieste.

The articles that dealt mainly with Trieste are listed below (they can all be accessed from the BBC site).

Trieste, October 1945 to January 1947
What did you eat in the War, Daddy?
Riots in Trieste, circa October 1945
Trieste had its funny moments
Sweating on being released
Victory Celebrations, 8th June 1946
Civil Police in Trieste during the unrest

I would be interested in learning from anyone if the view from the Goldoni Tunnel shown in “Trieste had its funny moments” is still the same today :-D

Ciau

Ron

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
babatriestina
senator
senator

Messaggio da babatriestina »

Ron ha scritto:
I would be interested in learning from anyone if the view from the Goldoni Tunnel shown in “Trieste had its funny moments” is still the same today :-D
It's quite the same, I'm living now in a flat in the house at right :-D
see
https://www.atrieste.eu/Forum3/viewtopic ... 46&start=0
among a lot of old postcards there's a picture taken by Bilbo some years ago fom a perspective very similar. They have only changed the center of the square, with a discussed fountain and an obelisk.

PeterG
Vilegiante
Vilegiante

Messaggio da PeterG »

Hi there

I thought that you might be interested to see Ron's army boots circa 1945. To be honest, I can't actually swear that these are his actual boots, although his were remarkably similar :-)
Allegati
Ron's Army clod-hoppers
Ron's Army clod-hoppers
ammoboots-ww2.jpg (11.79 KiB) Visto 3132 volte

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

Peter

They certainly look like mine.......
I wore size 8 and the polish looks about right.....
We will have to ask Maria if she can recognise the studs :-D

Ron

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
PeterG
Vilegiante
Vilegiante

Messaggio da PeterG »

Yep, that confirms it. These are size 8 with the regulation 15 studs, as worn in the field, on guard duty, and at the opera house. :-)

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

Dear Babatriestina

What a brilliant reply and so many pictures to study :!:

I've already started to make plans to visit Trieste some time next year and I will get my wife to take a snap of me from the same viewpoint.

The results: "Before & after" (with a gap of 60 years) should make interesting viewing :-D

Ciau

Ron

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

Ron

At page 34 of your Memories' Book you have a big question mark about four images,

I can answer for two of them. The photo from the top right is from the Canal Grande that you can admire here:

https://www.atrieste.eu/Forum3/viewtopic ... ponterosso

The one on the bottom right is from a famous icecream parlour named ZAMPOLLI. Possibly the one in Viale XX Settembre, aka Aquedoto or, simply, as Viale:

https://www.atrieste.eu/Forum3/viewtopic.php?t=262

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

Ron

At page 34 of your Memories' Book you have a big question mark about four images,

I can answer for two of them.
Hi Mac

As I said in the Album " No Prizes-No Answers" but I'm pleased to see that somebody is actually looking at the album :lol:
As I have your attention, have a look at Page 33 and tell me if any one actually remembers hearing those songs.

Ciau

Ron

babatriestina
senator
senator

I agree with Macondo about Zampolli, and I think it's that one on the Viale.
As for the songs page 33, well, of course Bandiera rossa is the communist song Avanti popolo - alla riscossa- Bandiera rossa- trionferà.
Then I see Viva là e po bon that's the only Triestin song, it's the hymn to taking it easy, I'd translate.
( qualchedun ga el testo completo? me vergogno a dir, ma no la so tuta/ I'm asking fot the complete text)
Then, I see Strada del B ... it could be Strada del bosco, something like as

Vieeni...
c'è una strada nel bosco
Il suo nome conosco..

my mother sang those songs.

Of course O sole mio is the classical Neapolitan song

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

Hi Baba (May I shorten your name?)

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:47 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for the songs page 33, well, of course Bandiera rossa is the communist song Avanti popolo - alla riscossa- Bandiera rossa- trionferà.
Then I see Viva là e po bon that's the only Triestin song, it's the hymn to taking it easy, I'd translate.
( qualchedun ga el testo completo? me vergogno a dir, ma no la so tuta/ I'm asking fot the complete text)
Then, I see Strada del B ... it could be Strada del bosco, something like as

Vieeni...
c'è una strada nel bosco
Il suo nome conosco..

my mother sang those songs.

Of course O sole mio is the classical Neapolitan song
I just :lol: love this site :lol:

Yes, it was Strada del Bosco, a really haunting melody and if I remember Viva là e po bon properly it went something like this:

Viva la po bon, Questo motto Triestin
Qui le vadi ben, qui le vadi mal
Sempre allegro mai passion
Viva la po bon

Ciau

Ron

babatriestina
senator
senator

Ron ha scritto:Hi Baba (May I shorten your name?)
Of course!! :-D

PeterG
Vilegiante
Vilegiante

Messaggio da PeterG »

Questo si lo conosco:

Vieni
C'è una strada nel bosco
Il suo nome conosco
Vuoi conoscerlo tu

Vieni
È la strada del cuore