A British soldier remembers Trieste in 1946

Regole del forum
Collegamenti al regolamento del forum in varie lingue ed alle norme sulla privacy in italiano.
macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

babatriestina ha scritto:Antica Bonavia? ( i'm only guessing)
Antica Bonavia is a good candidate. It used to be one of the best reastaurant in Trieste and a favourite with James Joyce during his Trieste years. It used to be just behind the Town Hall (Municipio) at the top end of Piazza Grande (Piazza Unitá). What do you think?
Allegati
antica.jpg

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

The Antica Restaurant

Messaggio da Ron »

Mac, et al

In my search for my "missing" restaurant I would need to know whether or not it was open during my stay in Trieste, i.e. 1946.

I do remember that I used to bring along a bar of chocolate for the proprietor and he used to reciprocate by sending over a liquer such as schnapps or grappa.

I also remember most vividly how that our friday night meal was looked forward to so much by our party of four to five 4th Hussar men.

The stories about James Joyce are new to me and I find most interesting.

Ciau

Ron

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

Another candidate could be the Antica Trattoria da Suban...To get there, you may walk all the lenght of Viale XX Settembre and you have mentioned that in your post.

However, it seems to be a bit too far for visiting once a week; unless you took a tramway..(check via Comici on Google Map)
Allegati
suban.jpg
suban.jpg (5.33 KiB) Visto 2504 volte

Nona Picia
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da Nona Picia »

Ron ha scritto:
Caro Ron,
io nonparlo l'inglese, scusa se scrivo in italiano. Volevo chiederti a che feste ccattoliche possono corrispondere Hoshà Ana Rabbà, Sheminì Azereth e Simchath Torà. Ciao ciao e grazie
Caro Nona

Hoshà Ana Rabbà is on the 13th October this year
Sheminì Azereth is on the 14th October this year
Simchath Torà is on the 15th October this year

La mia scrittura italiana è terribile in modo da ho chiesto al mio ver al buon amico Peter di aiutarlo e questo è che cosa lo ha raccomandato di scrivere

"Queste son tutte feste mobili, per esempio Hosha'ana Rabbah è l'ultimo giorno dei sette giorni di celebrazione di Sukkos, la Festa delle Capanne. Per le date e spiegazione di queste feste sarebbe forse meglio andar qua http://www.ucei.it/evidenze/calendario/lunario.asp Non ci sono feste cristiane che son comparabile con queste tre, che io sappia”

Spero che questo sia di un certo aiuto

Ciau

Ron

Grazie, Ron.
Ciao ciao :36_1_39:

PeterG
Vilegiante
Vilegiante

Messaggio da PeterG »

Apropos of absolutely nothing, this link sent to me by a friend in Canada, http://www.nobodyhere.com/toren.hier , is just too good not to share.

Peter :lol:

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

Dear All

I have moved most of the 'lateral posts' to two new topics within the English Section.

James Joyce
https://www.atrieste.eu/Forum3/viewtopic.php?t=1298

Practice your English
https://www.atrieste.eu/Forum3/viewtopic ... highlight=

I have also deleted a few 'courtesy' posts.

As a matter of fact, I would like to reserve this topic (British soldier remember Trieste) solely to Ron's queries and experiences related to his years in Trieste.
There is nothing wrong to go occasionally a bit OT (Off Topic), but I believe that some of the new arguments we are starting to explore should be better dealt within a separate topic (or topics).
[The Ron reply below is actually 'older' that my edited post (Oh, forget it, it's getting too complicated)]

Eventually, I will delete this post too...
Ultima modifica di macondo il lun 16 ott 2006, 17:45, modificato 5 volte in totale.

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Straying off topic

Messaggio da Ron »

Dear Mac

re
There is nothing wrong to go occasionally a bit OT (Off Topic), but I believe that some of the new arguments we are starting to explore should be better dealt within a separate topic (or topics).
Peter & I are both founder members of an English Blog that caters for WW2 matters, namely http://2ndww.blogspot.com/ and we have also had the same problem of contributors straying off topic.

I will be very interested to see how our Italian counterparts deal with the same problem :lol:

As for me...... put me wherever you like..... I'm having fun :-D

Ciau

Ron

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Who knows Opicina well?

Messaggio da Ron »

Cari Amici

I'm looking for another piece of the jigsaw puzzle called "Ron's travels in Trieste".

During my stay in the Trieste, are our actual barracks were at Villa Opicina. On the bottom of Page 40 of my infamous album ( http://www.ronsactualarmyalbum.blogspot.com/ ) there are two very small photos of the main roads. The one in the centre is the road that led down to the barracks.
So.. if one were to alight from the tram at Opicina, turn left down the main road and then take the first main road on your left you would pass under the floral arch shown and walk downhill to the barracks, about half a mile.

Does anybody know Opicina well enough to pinpoint the barracks for me.... if you don't know, perhaps your parents/grandparents can help :lol:

ps I have GOOGLE search so a map reference or a post code would do fine :!:

Many thanks

Ron

refolo

british soldier remember trieste

Messaggio da refolo »

Dear RON

I give you the e-mail address of my friend Arthur, I don't think he would mind, he was an American soldier in the same barraks. After you left they took possesion. He even married the local girl. He's always fool of pride of Opicina, I told him hundred of time how to pronunce the word, but he's hopless.

artlienertATcastcom. net or get into Old Soldier Home few of them were in the same spot.

Cia Maria aka Refolo

[MOD: go modificado un momento el modo de postar el indirizzo, in modo che i programmi automatici de spam no lo leggi: evitemo de postar publicamente indirizzi privati, che se no i proprietari vien inondai de spam MOD]

refolo

british soldiers remembered trieste

Messaggio da refolo »

Hei RON,

I am not the boss in this forum, but I think no one would be upset if your friend Tom will come in as a member, even if he wasn't in Trieste, with you back in 1945-47 but only in Venice.
I am under the impression, that he feel unwanted.

By the way, you have mentioned that back in Trieste you went to see Bernadette if I recall it was Jennifer Jones the artist? I was there too.

A group of girl around 10 from each school in Trieste, had a previledge.
That was organize by the Red Cross, to give us a bit of relieve from the War. The cinema was what he turn to be later the AMBASSADOR.

(had almost 1/2 doz. different names)

My husband was working in there, from 1951 until the troops left. You should have see what he did for the performance of ""TOBROOK""
Uniforms, guns, sand dune the all lot. I must have the photo somewere.
When I told him about you and Peter, the first thing he reminded me of the
film.

That night, all the English and Americans were there, until early morning, it
didn't stop, even with the Police-MP. security it was a Chaos.
And the engagement of Elizabeth........gosh, sometime I wouldn't mind to turn the clock back.

Maria aka Refolo

babatriestina
senator
senator

Re: british soldiers remembered trieste

Messaggio da babatriestina »

refolo ha scritto: Hei RON,

I am not the boss in this forum, but I think no one would be upset if your friend Tom will come in as a member, even if he wasn't in Trieste, with you back in 1945-47 but only in Venice.
I am under the impression, that he feel unwanted.
Why do you say so? after the last spammers, we have put some checks to the news subscriptions, but's only for caution.

refolo

british soldiers remember trieste

Messaggio da refolo »

I told you to forget about my complaint.
I am not the only one who's RUSHING! the gentleman send me two private messages, sound that, because he wasn't in Trieste he wasn't allowed to be among us! that all.

Maria aka refolo

nanaia
ixolan
ixolan

barrack in Opicina

Messaggio da nanaia »

Hi Ron, I live in Opicina, so I’m very glad to send you some photos of what was your barrack in 1946. It’s still a barrack, so the possibilities of taking images is very limited and exclusively out of the military area, however……The sign is at the very beginning of the road leading to the main entrance of the barrack; the plate on the column on the right indicates the regiment now serving there, while the one on the left indicates the name given to the barrack.
The sentinel made an exception for me and allowed me to take just two photos after opening the main gate (there is at least one little advantage in being a middle aged, innocent looking lady……).
Then you have the two sentry boxes on the left corners of the barrack, looking on a street leading to Prosecco and farther on to Sistiana and Monfalcone.
The quality of the photos is modest, I’m not very skilful…
I hope you got what you were looking for
Nanaia

nanaia
ixolan
ixolan

barrack 2

Messaggio da nanaia »

..more photos...

nanaia
ixolan
ixolan

barracks 3

Messaggio da nanaia »

..final one :wink:

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

Dear nanaia

Thank you so much for the trouble you have gone to, it's a pity that you wern't allowed to film inside the barracks :)
Could I trouble you further with the name of the road where the barracks are situated or, better still, the postcode (zipcode) ?.
This would then allow me to pinpoint it on a map.

Auguri di Londra !

Ron

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

Ron

You should be able to pinpoint the barracks location typing, or copy and paste, the following address in Google Maps:

Villa Opicina, via di Prosecco 241, Italy

nanaia
ixolan
ixolan

barracks in Opicina

Messaggio da nanaia »

Just to split the hair :wink: zip code (the recently updated one) is 34151.
You never cause any trouble: if you want to have further news regarding Opicina I will be only too glad to help :lol:
Have a nice Sunday
Nanaia

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Opicina Barracks

Messaggio da Ron »

Dear Nanaia & Mac

Thank you both for that helfpul info.

I have started building a file on my proposed visit next year and providing the tram is running :evil: I will certainly pay a visit to the barracks.

Do you think if I wear all my medals and tell them I was was last there sixty years earlier they would let me in ? (only kidding)

Alternatively, if they get suspicious regarding my enquiries can I rely on members of this site visiting me in prison :) :) :)

Ron

refolo

british soldiers remember Trieste

Messaggio da refolo »

Dear Ron,

don't think for a minute, that the Triestini are not interested of your story or medals. You should even go straight to the Major of the city for that matter, and introduce yourself, like the Americans did. Few years ago they unveil a Plaque for you people in the garden of Miramare Castle.
Which, for my ignorance I am not able to publish the photo I would send
it to you privately. Provide someone else are quicker than me.

So be popular once more.

Maria aka refolo

Torna a “English section”