Returning to old haunts

Regole del forum
Collegamenti al regolamento del forum in varie lingue ed alle norme sulla privacy in italiano.
Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Returning to old haunts

Messaggio da Ron »

I would imagine that most ex-servicemen have at one time or another given thought to returning to the areas in which they served.

Between the years 1942 to 1947 I served in various parts of Britain and also in North Africa, Sicily, Italy, Austria, Germany and Egypt but, to date anyway, have only managed to return on holiday to a few isolated places, namely Rome, Florence & Venice.

The first “return visit” I made was to Venice and I was able to get there with my family in 1966 whilst we were holidaying at Lido di Jesolo, some twenty years after my wartime visit.

We were on a ‘package’ coach holiday (see details above).

When I tell you that we enjoyed a 14 day holiday visiting France, Switzerland and Italy all for the sum of Thirty-nine and a half Guineas per head you will realise how inflation has affected the cost of travel. The Guinea, long since gone as English currency, was equivalent to 21 shilllings.

Next year, G-d willing, when I return to Venice it will be after a gap of 40 years….. doesn’t time fly ?
Allegati
000 14 Day Coach Tour.JPG

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

Ron
Around that time, an acquaintance of mine was buying his first house in a London suburbia. Italian, of course, and with a very basic knowledge of the language.

He went to a local solicitor to finalize the purchase and on his way out he was told by the secretary that the fee will be of 12 Guineas.
Shortly afterward, he returned to the solicitor's office carrying a crate with 12 bottles of Guinness...

Coce
Ixolan
Ixolan

Idiomatic

Messaggio da Coce »

And THAT is an example of the English language foryou.
Ciao Coce :-D :-D

La vita
Piu' che la pendi
Piu' la rendi
Ron
ixolan
ixolan

English, as she is spoke !

Messaggio da Ron »

And THAT is an example of the English language for you

There is an apocryphal story told of a student who was struggling with the English language.

One morning he bought a copy of the Times newspaper in which he read a review of the stage play Cavalcade.

On read that "Cavalcade was pronounced a success" he went out and shot himself :!:

ps.
I liked the Guiness story Mac :lol:

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
Ron
ixolan
ixolan

English as she is spoke !

Messaggio da Ron »

On read that "Cavalcade was pronounced a success
On re-reading what I have just written I see a simple typographical error.

I meant to write on reading.

I rush to correct it only because the English language is awkward enough without me confusing others with a simple "typo" !

Ciao

Ron

nanaia
ixolan
ixolan

misprints (is this correct?)

Messaggio da nanaia »

Tell the truth, Ron: you rushed to correct yourself fearing Peter's reaction :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nanaia

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

English as she is spoke !

Messaggio da Ron »

Nanaia

e vero !

Ron

refolo

returning to the old hauntgh

Messaggio da refolo »

Yes Nannaia !

Behind a man it's always a woman, I think Peter knows about it! perhaps his wife knows A BIT!

MARIA AKA REFOLO

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Do your parents remember?

Messaggio da Ron »

It was New Year's Eve, December 31st 1946, and my unit (The 4th Queen's Own Hussars) were stationed in Monfalcone.

My immediate friends and I went into town for a drink and a meal to see the New Year in.

That evening has been frozen in time on Page 44 of my Album and, looking at it the other day, I wondered if anyone remembers the local fair and whether or not Trattoria Zeno still exists.

Come on you Monfalconese..... ask your parents :lol:
Allegati
1945 Monfalcone New Years Eve.jpg
1945 Monfalcone New Years Eve.jpg (15.98 KiB) Visto 3231 volte

refolo

returning to the old haunts

Messaggio da refolo »

Yes my dear Ron.....
coming up like a portion of Sauerkraut with Polish sausages.

www.zeroderossi.com

Maria aka Refolo

Nona Picia
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da Nona Picia »

Cara refolo, volevodirte che te ga un mp de sum culex.

Ciao ciao
Trova un minuto per pensare, trova un minuto per pregare,
trova un minuto per ridere.
"MADRE TERESA"

"La Mama l’è talmen un tesor de valur che l’ha vorüda anche Noster Signur" .....
Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

Ciau Maria

I tried your link: http://www.zeroderossi.com/
but had no joy. :roll:

More help please :lol:

Ron

refolo

returning to old haunts

Messaggio da refolo »

Private e-mail is coming...
maria aka refolo

Torna a “English section”