A film about American soldiers in Triest

Regole del forum
Collegamenti al regolamento del forum in varie lingue ed alle norme sulla privacy in italiano.
serlilian
distinto
distinto

A film about American soldiers in Triest

Messaggio da serlilian »

I've found this film about American soldiers and Triestine girls:

Blue jeans and short skirts - the American Trieste after WWII

http://www.sdcinematografica.com/index. ... gina_4_223

click on the arrow near "Vedi trailer"

[i]Liliana[/i]
- . - . -
[size=75][i]"Quando comincia una guerra, la prima vittima è la Verità.
Quando la guerra finisce, le bugie dei vinti sono smascherate,
quelle dei vincitori, diventano Storia."
(A. Petacco - La nostra guerra)[/size][/i]
gene odom
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da gene odom »

Lilian-

There are a couple of those DVD's about the American and British forces during the years after WW2 when the Allied Forces/UN maintained security in Zone A of the FTT. The other DVD is titled TRIESTE: A RING ON THE ADRIATIC. Produced by Renzo Carbonera and distributed by sd cinematografica. Each DVD is about an hour long and contains a lot of black and white film taken by various photographers and pulled together into a coherent film. I happen to have an English language copy of both of them. I just received them yesterday and Nora (Triestina), my wife, and I watched them last night.

At the bottom of the label the caption reads: "Compliments of Sgt Martin Rotker Army Pictorial Service. TRUST 1947 - 48.

The email address for ordering copies of the DVD is: sales[at]adcinematografica.it

Web: sdcinematografica.it

Gene

AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

flag_ts
AdlerTS ha scritto:El documentario, realizado da Chiara Barbo e Andrea Magnani, racconta dei circa 1300 matrimoni dell'epoca, rintracciando attraverso tra New York, il Michigan, la Virginia, la California e la Florida alcune signore che parla un bellissimo triestin con accento american: nei loro racconti risulta el mezzo trauma de un paese così diverso dalla nostra città e risulta come anche tante triestine gabbi poi divorziado perché andando in america non ga "trovado l'america" :-)

Con una piccola ricerca go trovado che el filmato xe disponibile anche su youtube e ve lo consiglio, godibilissimo. Ecco la prima parte e la seconda . :-D
flag_uk

Part one and two of a documentary by Chiara Barbo and Andrea Magnani about girls that left Trieste to USA after WW II.
Really well done :-D

Mal no far, paura no gaver.
serlilian
distinto
distinto

Messaggio da serlilian »

Thank you, Gene and Adler.

:approved:

[i]Liliana[/i]
- . - . -
Ursus Canadiensis
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ursus Canadiensis »

But, Serilian, should you have any philosophical question, just let Larry help you out! :-D :twisted: :-D :twisted: :-D :twisted: :-D :twisted:

Ernie

If at first you don't succeed, try reading the instruction manual.
serlilian
distinto
distinto

Messaggio da serlilian »

Sure, Arnie. :lol: 8) :lol:
But unfortunately Larry comes very seldom on this forum.
I miss him. :(

[i]Liliana[/i]
- . - . -
Coce
Ixolan
Ixolan

Philosophies

Messaggio da Coce »

Well the only philosophy of the Ango-American presence in Trieste that I remember was to foster their political line and belt the shit out of anyone that did not follow it. Coce :-)

La vita
Piu' che la pendi
Piu' la rendi
serlilian
distinto
distinto

Messaggio da serlilian »

Of course. But it's possible to understand why they did so. One war had just been finished... and another one could start in Triest. :roll:

[i]Liliana[/i]
- . - . -
Ursus Canadiensis
ixolan
ixolan

Re: Philosophies

Messaggio da Ursus Canadiensis »

Coce ha scritto:Well the only philosophy of the Ango-American presence in Trieste that I remember was to foster their political line and belt the shit out of anyone that did not follow it. Coce :-)
Coce.....Oh Coce!

There was to be a hint of irony in the use of the word "philosophy", but perhaps I have concealed it too well, :-D :-D :-D

Arnie

If at first you don't succeed, try reading the instruction manual.
serlilian
distinto
distinto

Messaggio da serlilian »

:lol:

[i]Liliana[/i]
- . - . -
AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

serlilian ha scritto:I've found this film about American soldiers and Triestine girls:

Blue jeans and short skirts - the American Trieste after WWII

http://www.sdcinematografica.com/index. ... gina_4_223

click on the arrow near "Vedi trailer"
Last week I saw on the TV the italian version of this movie (Blue jeans e gonne corte - la Trieste americana del dopoguerra) and there are some interesting things I did not know about those years
: for instance Jim Herring and John Bowman talk about the CIA headquarter in triest, located on Ghega street (el conservatorio) or the Red Cross market in Opicina and Barcola. Also funny the memories of the bar "at Mario's" on Carducci street, owned by Mario Todeschini, where british and americans used to spend nights and give much work to the MP guys ;-) An italian workerk of this bar also teach us the sometimes americans use to clean their ... back with 5 dollars bill ! This guy used to colect them from the toilet, wash and re-use them !
The triestin wife of Jim Herring, Claudia, also says that it was very funny how everybody used to look like a "cow boy" when first jeans trousers came in town and undeline that there was no Pizzeria in Trieste before '50s. The US army took this kind of restaurant coming from the south of Italy.

A good movie.

Thanks to all for their memories.

Mal no far, paura no gaver.
babatriestina
senator
senator

Messaggio da babatriestina »

AdlerTS ha scritto: undeline that there was no Pizzeria in Trieste before '50s. The US army took this kind of restaurant coming from the south of Italy.
in my memory, the first pizzeria in Trieste was opened in the sixties and was Michele, at first in Galleria Fenice. Never seen or eaten a true pizza before. And that was the same, I think, in all the Northern Italy. Yes, it can seem very odd to those who are used to see a pizzeria everywhere, as the MacDonald!

"mi credo che i scrivi sta roba per insempiar la gente" ( La Cittadella)
gene odom
vilegiante
vilegiante

A Film About American Soldiers in Trieste

Messaggio da gene odom »

How did the subject of pizza gent into this discussion? When I left the US in 1946, I had never tasted a slice of pizza before. Then I went to Trieste I never saw anything called pizza. On my return to the States in 1950 pizza places were popping up everywhere. Today we have two popular types pf pizza; one is a deep dish pizza and it looks like a real pie. It goes by the name of Chicago style pizza because it was first featured there. The other type of pizza is New York style pizza and it is the traditional thin pie. The New York style is favored by about 3 - 1.

When I returned to Trieste in 1992 with my wife and brother-in -law and his wife, we found pizzas everywhere across Northern Italy and Trieste. When I was stationed in Trieste during the late forties, my favorite fast food was ham and cheese on local bread with mustard and peperoncini. I still dream about it. The local ham and home made cheese was wonderful along with the local wine. By the way Nora made a big pot of Jota for dinner last evening.

My brother-in-law plans to visit Trieste in April. If travel conditions permit.

Gene

Larry
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Larry »

OK, OK, I'm back once again.
Arnie, me? filosofo? Now there's something I've never heard me described as before. Mind you at my age that's about all I can be.
What's a philosopher?
Liliana, I apologise for my long absence but you have to remember I'm a widower (vedovo) with a large house and a son to look after and cook for. It's finding time to visit all these web-sites that's my problem and excuse. Here I have to think and write so I try to keep in touch by forwarding e-mails and jokes.
Coce, we were just following, no doubt, the examples set before by the German and Jugoslav armies. Most probably those who did the "bruising" thought that as you Triestine folks had lived under Fascist rulers that you were used to that kind of treatment and would not have wanted to disappoint you :-D :-D :-D :-D :roll:
Larry

Auld acquaintance should ne'er be forgot
For the sake of auld lang's syne
Larry
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Larry »

Continuing the theme of pizzerie, I returned to Trieste in Settembre 1948 as a soldier in Via Donadoni. I used to visit Bar Mario often. But if I am not mistaken, in the street behind Bar Mario (Via S.Lazzaro?) I found a pizzeria - I think in 1949 - managed by a neapolitan. He used to make wonderful pizzas with the pastry very very fine. He told me that the true pizza must have a very fine pastry like a biscuit but lots of cheese with tomatoe paste and anchovies (acciughe) on top. His pizzas were great.
Today, however, I hardly ever eat pizza. Why? Because its all pastry and no taste or filling on top. They even put a rim around the pizzas nowadays. The Chicago type are awful and the New Yorkers aren't much better - both types are sold here. Some of our pizzerias advertise real Italian pizzas. They must be joking. And strangely enough, most of the pizzas sold in our supermarkets and shops are "MADE IN GERMANY". Especially those with the name Alberto!!!!!
Larry

Auld acquaintance should ne'er be forgot
For the sake of auld lang's syne

Torna a “English section”