A British soldier remembers Trieste in 1946

Regole del forum
Collegamenti al regolamento del forum in varie lingue ed alle norme sulla privacy in italiano.
refolo

british soldiers remeber trieste

Messaggio da refolo »

I wouldn't dream to mentioned Mussolini, to you, or any others for that matter......after, he went.... we did starved.

I do remember very well, because a young child does, when the stomach is empty.

I do recite like you did in your country... you come- you conquered- you
stayed.

The Americans were more......not rich but better off than the Betford.
I remember, when Prince Charles was born? 125 Cannon shot?

everything for the future King not enough food for us??????? That was the
reply in the Trieste paper"" IL GIORNALE MILITARE ALLEATO"" 2 Lire...

But still with me as a souvenir. You left early and you didn't enjoyed the
what I called the surprises of the end of the AMG.

Enjoy your stay in Trieste, ( if that is your next prerogative) I think...after all you do deserve a bit of a good souvenir.

Maria aka refolo

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

I wouldn't dream to mentioned Mussolini, to you, or any others for that matter......after, he went.... we did starved.

I do remember very well, because a young child does, when the stomach is empty.

I do recite like you did in your country... you come- you conquered- you
stayed.

The Americans were more......not rich but better off than the Betford.
I remember, when Prince Charles was born? 125 Cannon shot?

everything for the future King not enough food for us??????? That was the
reply in the Trieste paper"" IL GIORNALE MILITARE ALLEATO"" 2 Lire...

But still with me as a souvenir. You left early and you didn't enjoyed the
what I called the surprises of the end of the AMG.

Enjoy your stay in Trieste, ( if that is your next prerogative) I think...after all you do deserve a bit of a good souvenir.

Maria aka refolo
Maria...........

When I place a "Smiley" like this :lol: at the end of a posting it means I am not being serious :roll:

I would hope that my previous postings on this site and various other sites would show the immense respect I have for the Italian people and particularly the Triestinians.

The quotation you use "I came, I saw, I conquered" or "Veni, Vidi, Vici"
was, as you well know, of Roman origin, a little before when I first came to Trieste :lol:

Finally, I trust that I will not be unwelcome when I do , G-d willing, return to Trieste later this year.

Ron

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
refolo

English soldiers remembers Trieste

Messaggio da refolo »

OF COURSE YOU WOULD'NT

You're welcome at any times, if I did said one word too many was out
of frustration.

Don't forget that at my age I was almost considered as a stupid little girl
with the desired of achieve in something that I couldn't have because

of a precision bureaucracy, and the accommodation, for what has to be
precisely an order to be as good as people from Trieste.

Maria aka Refolo

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

There are three pictures in Ron's War Album depicting what it seems to be a political demonstration held in Trieste just after the war.
http://ronsactualarmyalbum.blogspot.com/
One can be found at page 16, two more at page 67 from the Album.

These pictures were likely taken by a professional photographer and sold to the Allied soldiers as a souvenir. Curiously, few days ago a set of seven pictures were offered on ebay and I was able to get three...Two of them are identical of Ron's ones, eg the picture a page 16 and the top one on page 67.
On the reverse of all three pictures there is an identical annotation in pencil reading Demonstration Trieste 22 Marc(h) 1946 and a serial number in pen (400, 403 and 404). There is a possibility that the picture at page 16 and shown below was actualy taken on another date as there are a couple of features that make it different from other two.

Immagine
Ultima modifica di macondo il lun 15 gen 2007, 21:05, modificato 1 volta in totale.

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

On the photo above, the parade is peacefully moving down from via Carducci to via Ghega. There are no flags or pancarts on view and very few soldiers are present.
The main detail that was missing from this picture, but that is clearly visible on the photo below is the circle of white barrels positioned to create a sort of roundabout in piazza Dalmazia.
On the photo below we can see the 'head' of a pro-Slavs demonstration with a couple of what seems to be red flags. It is also possible to see one participant with a red scarve on his neck. The march has stopped where via Ghega and piazza Dalmazia met and there is a number of 'Cerini' and British soldiers (plus jeeps and trucks), apparently keeping apart from a counter-demonstration...

Immagine
Ultima modifica di macondo il lun 15 gen 2007, 20:58, modificato 1 volta in totale.

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

And finally the inevitable happened. A group of what seems to be students or young people, very likely pro-Italians, attack the 'tail' of the march with people running away from the scuffles toward via Martiri della Libertá (??). A flag with a red star can be seen.

Immagine
Ultima modifica di macondo il lun 15 gen 2007, 21:12, modificato 2 volte in totale.

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

If you wish to download a very large version of these images, you should click the following links:

https://www.atrieste.eu/FotoMacondo/manif001.jpg

https://www.atrieste.eu/FotoMacondo/manif002.jpg

https://www.atrieste.eu/FotoMacondo/manif003.jpg

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Post-war riots in Trieste

Messaggio da Ron »

Ciau Marino

Your enlargements completely capture the scene and, for a few moments, I am back in those eventful days of 1946.

The white painted barrels are oil drums filled with sand. So simple to carry empty on the back of an open lorry and then filled with sand to make them stable and too heavy to shift.

The three photos in my album, if I remember correctly, were on sale in the British NAAFI and, as you surmised, were probably taken by an enterprising photographer.

Finally, if you care to look at Page 82 of my Album you will also see mention in the first paragraph of May 1946 and the "demonstrations"

Ciau

Ron

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

Bad days but nice pictures.

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Re: Post-war riots in Trieste

Messaggio da macondo »

Ron ha scritto:Finally, if you care to look at Page 82 of my Album you will also see mention in the first paragraph of May 1946 and the "demonstrations"
Ciau
Ron
Ron
I read page 82 more than a month ago. Thanks for pointing out the reference of May 1946. As a matter of fact, and in order to celebrate the labour day and the first anniversary of arrival of Tito forces, a rather large 'demonstration' was held on the 1st of May 1946. It was organised by the Left and by the pro-Slavs fractions (that a that time were united in a political front).
On the other hand, the day after (2nd May 1946) a huge celebration was held by the Allied Forces. A military parade was held on the Rive (sea front) with the participation of all different regiments stationed in Trieste and with the attendance of a large portion of Trieste population.

I have a few photos of the above events that I should post soon to refresh your memory :wink: :wink:

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

In the meantime I invite you to have a look to these photograph taken in 1953 during the visit of the Viscount Mountbatten of Burma.

https://www.atrieste.eu/Forum3/viewtopic ... ountbatten

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Mountbatten photos

Messaggio da Ron »

Ben fata Marino :!:

I hadn't seen these photos before and I certainly don't remember the occasion.

I think I must have been on leave in London when this took place

Ciau

Ron

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

Marino

Scusi.....

Sono pazzo ! :oops:

1953 ?......I went back home to England in 1947 !

Ron

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

I apologize to the owner of this postcard. I do not know who is it and I am posting here without a proper permission.

A very interesting one as we can read United States Army Exchange Store over the shop on the right hand side of the image (click over to enlarge).
Allegati
pxstore1gl9.jpg

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

Ron ha scritto:1953 ?......I went back home to England in 1947 !
n
I have enlarged the 1953 'Cerino' in the background fashioning the summer uniform of our kind of 'bobby' :wink:

Immagine

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

A found this image in my hard drive titled opicina camp. If I remember well, it was a postcard produced by an allied soldier...
Allegati
opcina camp.jpg

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

And here another 'orphan' picture I've found buried in my HD. It depicts a border crossing somewhere near Trieste and some American soldiers checking the documents of a few Jugoslavian soldiers in a Jeep. Date and location unknown.

Immagine

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

The barracks at Opicina

Messaggio da Ron »

Hi Marino

Some very interesting photos you have just dug up.

I'm afraid that the buildings in the barracks that I knew in 1946 were much more permanent than the ones on the postcard that you show.

I even wonder if there was more than one barracks location at Opicina?

Before I come out later this year I intend to get Peter to write me a good letter to the comandante of the present barracks introducing me and asking whether or not permission would be granted for me to visit the existing barracks to see for myself.

Only time will tell :roll: :roll: :roll:

AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

I've already ask in the italian section: does anyboby remember anything about a warehouse between Basovizza and Pese. I've heard it was a warehouse for shooting practice used by the Allies in the 50s. ?

claudio bonifacio
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da claudio bonifacio »

Ron ha scritto:Hi Macondo

Many thanks for the "Welcome aboard".

This is such a small world and SS General Globocnik is no stranger to me.

Use this link:
http://2ndww.blogspot.com/
to go to the Blog that was set up by some four of us 'refugees' from the BBC WW2 website. Scroll down till you come to "Rounding up the SS in Austria and you will see why I was interested in him.

We will talk again, I am sure :)

Ron
Hi Ron,
there are rumors that Globoclnik reached America and lived very rich. Can be truth?
Cheers Claudio

Torna a “English section”