Old Triest

Regole del forum
Collegamenti al regolamento del forum in varie lingue ed alle norme sulla privacy in italiano.
Derick
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da Derick »

Thanks Babatriestina!
The ghetto, I understand, is mostly antique stores today, is this area in good shape? The uses and activities that take place in the other parts of the old city, are they mostly restaurants, bars, hotels and cottage industry?

Also, I have been to other Italian cities where the ancient strata of the city is apparant in the lower levels of the buildings. For instance, in Rome it is common to be in a seventeenth or eighteenth century structure, but in the basement find roman columns, etc. Does this hold true for Trieste's citta vecchia?

Lastly, the fascist structures directly behind the piazza unita, am I correct in my understanding that these are municipal buildings, such as the police headquarters?
- Derick

babatriestina
senator
senator

Messaggio da babatriestina »

Derick ha scritto: The ghetto, I understand, is mostly antique stores today, is this area in good shape? The uses and activities that take place in the other parts of the old city, are they mostly restaurants, bars, hotels and cottage industry?
yes, in the ghetto there are some antique stores, but the most elegant are in the streets of the borgo giuseppino, via Diaz and Cadorna, I cannot find the right English translation, but if you know the French words, I'd say that in the ghetto there are Brocanteurs and in the Borgo Giuseppino there are Antiquaires. For the rest of the part of the old city, the renovated buildings host the activities you said. Once, Cavana was famous for her brothels :wink: :-D ! and some cheap restaurants
They are also building some residences for students .
Derick ha scritto: Also, I have been to other Italian cities where the ancient strata of the city is apparant in the lower levels of the buildings. For instance, in Rome it is common to be in a seventeenth or eighteenth century structure, but in the basement find roman columns, etc. Does this hold true for Trieste's citta vecchia?
only near the Arco di Riccardo, as I posted the images here. An of course, at San Giusto and the Teatro romano.
In the basements of some houses here they found basements of medieval buildings, like the Castello A Marina, the castle near the sea built by the Venetian when they once took the city.
Derick ha scritto: Lastly, the fascist structures directly behind the piazza unita, am I correct in my understanding that these are municipal buildings, such as the police headquarters?
- Derick
behind Piazza Unità, Piazza Piccola, there is only one building of the fascist time, the rear of the municipio and it has municipal offices, others are in others buildings on the years 50-60 ( between Piazza Piccola and Via del teatro Romano). The police headquarters, that is the Questura, the center of the Carabinieri ( who are not exactly the police), are in Via del teatro Romano, which the fascist built as Casa del Fascio (see the images here:
https://www.atrieste.eu/Forum3/viewtopic.php?t=419) at one end of the Ghetto, where there was the Old Synagogue.

Derick
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da Derick »

Yes, I have heard that in James Joyce's time there were several brothels in the Cavana area.

It is a great idea to bring students into the area. Are the buildings being built contextual to their surroundings?

babatriestina
senator
senator

Messaggio da babatriestina »

Derick ha scritto:Yes, I have heard that in James Joyce's time there were several brothels in the Cavana area.

It is a great idea to bring students into the area. Are the buildings being built contextual to their surroundings?
The brothels were in via del Fico, via del Sale, via del Fortino, as I had heard, until the Legge Merlin, in the Fifties, closed them all. But I saw some "ladies" waiting in the evening in Piazza Cavana until the Seventies.
They don't make new buildings for the students, they adapt the old ones. like those in via delle Mura.

Derick
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da Derick »

Thought I would tell you that I presented my thesis last week and it went very well. Thanks everyone for the information that you shared. Of course I'll still frequent the page. When I make it to Trieste I owe everyone a drink!
Thanks,
Derick

Tirabaralla
citadin
citadin

Messaggio da Tirabaralla »

Compliments, Derrik!!! :) Bravo! :a:

[color=crimson][b][i]...it's not easy to be me...[/b][/i][/color]

[url]http://tirabaralla.splinder.com[/url]
[url]http://polaris7.splinder.com[/url]
[url]http://www.fotolog.com/tirabaralla_0/[/url]
vorwaerts
vilegiante
vilegiante

OUT OF BOUNDS

Messaggio da vorwaerts »

I revamp this old thread because recently i went in via dei Cavazzeni looking for the "famous" writing, but it's gone. Probably they repainted the building and now I couldn't take a shot of this interesting sign.
Anybody got a pic?
Tks

Torna a “English section”