Just to start

Regole del forum
Collegamenti al regolamento del forum in varie lingue ed alle norme sulla privacy in italiano.
granzo

Just to start

Messaggio da granzo »

I write some few words to encourage the people who look at us but still hesitate to register and write something...I know there's someone in Finland :wink: maybe in Germany too :wink: ....

minni
vilegiante
vilegiante

Re: Just to start

Messaggio da minni »

granzo ha scritto:I write some few words to encourage the people who look at us but still hesitate to register and write something...I know there's someone in Finland :wink: maybe in Germany too :wink: ....
Hello, and greetings from Finland! We are freezing here, the temperature is about - 30C outside. Even kids get so frustrated indoors. What else to do than just surf around in the internet... Fortunately, our homes and our hearts are warm. And next week the weaher will get better, too. Then you should come and see the beauty of our winter. I hope you are all doing fine over there in Italy, especially a certain person whose messages and letters are always a joy and pleasure :lol:

ffdt
Eximio
Eximio

Re: Just to start

Messaggio da ffdt »

minni ha scritto:
granzo ha scritto:I write some few words to encourage the people who look at us but still hesitate to register and write something...I know there's someone in Finland :wink: maybe in Germany too :wink: ....
Hello, and greetings from Finland! We are freezing here, the temperature is about - 30C outside. Even kids get so frustrated indoors. What else to do than just surf around in the internet... Fortunately, our homes and our hearts are warm. And next week the weaher will get better, too. Then you should come and see the beauty of our winter. I hope you are all doing fine over there in Italy, especially a certain person whose messages and letters are always a joy and pleasure :lol:
Hello Minni :-) nice to see you ... here we have about +5C and we feel the temperature as cold ;-D but recently we have had some snow here ... you can find some photos in the "Carso co la neve" thread at the URL: https://www.atrieste.eu/Forum3/viewtopic.php?t=20

"Carso" is the name of our surrounding plateau and "co la neve" is Triestin language for "with the snow", literally :-)

I hope you'll enjoy your "trip" into our forum ... feel free to snoop around :-) and if you'll have any question please ask :-) ... both in this section or whenever you'll like best :-)

Ciau :-)

Franco

granzo

Messaggio da granzo »

Hi Minni :-D , I'm happy you decided to write here, I'll try to write something in english for you and all the other friends who don't understand triestin and italian :-D ....

AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

Hi there :-D
We have pleasure in giving you our warmest welcome !

Some days ago I've been in Munich with -12 C and it was amazing for me: I cannot imagine -30 C :shock:

Where are you from exactly?

minni
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da minni »

AdlerTS ha scritto:Hi there :-D
We have pleasure in giving you our warmest welcome !

Some days ago I've been in Munich with -12 C and it was amazing for me: I cannot imagine -30 C :shock:

Where are you from exactly?
Hello folks! This is a very nice forum and people seem so friendly... I think I'll visit often here.

I am from eastern Finland, maybe too close to the stong high pressure centre in Siberia... The weather like this is unusually cold for us, nothing that we are very used to here, either. On the other hand, these severe frosts are part of our winter and we just have to deal with it. It means that the consumption of electricity goes to record levels, diesel cars have troubles and trains can be cancelled - among other things. So if you ever travel to Finland in winter time - be prepared! At the moment it is about
-9C and we'll put our winter jackets on and go for a walk. Refreshing!

I looked Trieste in a map and found that it is quite close to the border. At what direction do you usually travel when you prefer a short holiday away from home?

I've never been to Italy but I've been to Gran Canaria some months ago. I wonder what is your coffee culture like since we Finns like to drink a lot coffee, in many occasions. And I like my coffee black but in Canaria I was usually offered hot milk with it... So, if I decide to fly over to Trieste for a cup of coffee - how will it be served and what is your way? And what is your typical breakfast like, since I always like to have coffee and bread for breakfast, with a newspaper.

And now for a walk! Take care of yourself!

babatriestina
senator
senator

Messaggio da babatriestina »

minni ha scritto: I wonder what is your coffee culture like since we Finns like to drink a lot coffee, in many occasions. And I like my coffee black but in Canaria I was usually offered hot milk with it... So, if I decide to fly over to Trieste for a cup of coffee - how will it be served and what is your way? And what is your typical breakfast like, since I always like to have coffee and bread for breakfast, with a newspaper.

!
I begin with the end: I like at breakfast coffee with milk, and bread and butter, and with the newspaper for me it's the best! I like the newspaper better than television because I can read what interests me and skip others articles.
A lot of people here I think has breakfast outside, in a bar, a black coffee with a French croissant. Or with cakes .The use of cereals is growing.
For the coffee, there are a lot of ways of drinking it: a black is an espresso in a little cup ( beware! for someone here a black is a cup of black wine! :-D ), a cappuccino only in Trieste in an espresso with some milk, the italian cappuccino in a bigger cup, then there is the "capo in b" , a cappuccino served in a glass... others will add other varieties..
I don't translate the word espresso because I hawe read that even in Chineese and Japaneese an espresso is called an "espresso"
( I read easily English but I write it less frequently, so if you probably will find my English a bit funny :-D , the important is to make one understood)

AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

As Baba already told you, having a coffee in Triest is a part of culture and tradition. Check out for Hausbrandt or Illy for a coffee from Triest (I think they sell coffee worlwide).
Travels ? Due to the position, we can easily go to Croatia to get tan in the summer or have a trip to the italian side of Friuli if you like to walk through the hills searching for mushrooms. In wintertime nothing is better than some funny skiing in Austria or Slovenia.
Pick up your card, girl, this is the centre of the world 8)

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

Minni, I don't want to be nosey (but I am :oops:), but, what is your relation with Trieste?
I mean, why did you come to this Forum in the first place?

You are, of course, warmly welcome :-D :-D :-D

minni
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da minni »

babatriestina ha scritto:I begin with the end: I like at breakfast coffee with milk, and bread and butter, and with the newspaper for me it's the best! I like the newspaper better than television because I can read what interests me and skip others articles.
Many thanks for the information that I'va read with a lot of interest; that's exactly what I was after... I mean, we very seldom go out for a breakfast, it is something that happens at home and with the family. I thought that what I saw in Canaria would be an italian way, too - more or less. And when I mean black coffee, I really mean black coffee and it isn't a small cup. Cappucinos and espressoss have also come to Finland and they are getting more popular. But I hardly ever come to think that I could take a cappucino for a change, instead of that black coffee. Just a speacial occasions, maybe when I'm on a holiday or something like that.

And hello to you, too, macondo! You were wondering what is my relation with Triste. Well, I've always been very keen on languages and even as a little girl, I just had to find a way to use my knowledge (even if I was only taking the first steps...) and to get know interesting people around the world. I'd love to know how people live and think in other cultures, right? That's how I found correspondence and I have never given up on it. After this long speech, you may guess that I know someone in Trieste and was introduced to this forum. I thought I might learn something about Italy and Trieste here but I couldn't resist temptation to tell something about in Finland - maybe I just wanted to shock you a little with our climate :o

But actually I don't know, is this the forum where you want to tell me "all" about cour town. I speak Finnish, Swedish, English, German and some French but not Italian - I tried to look other messages and pictures there but it is so difficult when you don't get the point of the text!
Have to go, bye!

babatriestina
senator
senator

minni ha scritto:! I speak Finnish, Swedish, English, German and some French but not Italian - I tried to look other messages and pictures there but it is so difficult when you don't get the point of the text!
Have to go, bye!
Especially when we don't write Italian, but Triestin! :-D

granzo

Messaggio da granzo »

macondo ha scritto:Minni, I don't want to be nosey (but I am :oops:), but, what is your relation with Trieste?
I mean, why did you come to this Forum in the first place?

You are, of course, warmly welcome :-D :-D :-D
Well, that's not a mystery :-) she knows me! And I told her about the forum :-D

ffdt
Eximio
Eximio

Messaggio da ffdt »

minni ha scritto:[...]I tried to look other messages and pictures there but it is so difficult when you don't get the point of the text![...]
Minni, don't fear :-) I can suggest you to snoop around looking for photos :-) ... when you'll find one that you like, you can ask here for some explanation :-)

We'll glad to write in english for you and other english speaking people :-)

Ciau

Franco

AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

Also welcome to Derick, from Washington DC :-D

please feel free to ask anything you want to understand better the pictures within this forum. How did you find us ?

Derick
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da Derick »

Hello AdlerTS and everyone! I came across the Trieste forums while doing research for my thesis online. I have been very pleased with the help and information that I have received so far!

As to the earlier posts I understand that Europe has been having a severe winter. We have had a very mild winter here in the states, one of the warmest on record! I hope the jet stream changes though as I miss the snow!

ffdt
Eximio
Eximio

Messaggio da ffdt »

Hello Derick :-) welcome to "A Trieste" (literally "To Trieste").
Derick ha scritto:[...]Europe has been having a severe winter[...]
Yeah, indeed ;-D ......... in Trieste we have had some snow in the city center too ... and it's rare to have it here :-)

Nice to have you here :-)

Ciau

Franco

minni
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da minni »

Derick ha scritto:As to the earlier posts I understand that Europe has been having a severe winter. We have had a very mild winter here in the states, one of the warmest on record! I hope the jet stream changes though as I miss the snow!
Welcome to Finland, and you will find snow everywhere around you!

I made pizza today and I wish I had a chance to taste italian pizza - that's the real pizza, isn't it? Tell me about your pizza traditions and do you eat it out in restaurants or prefer making it at home yourselves?

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

Minni

Trieste has its own cousine that is strongly influenced from the 600 years of Austrian presence. For instance, we are very fond of boiled pork, sauerkraut and smoked sausages, just to name a few specialities. Pizza arrived in Trieste around 1960 and it was an immediate success because it was a novelty. Since then, a number of 'pizzerias' have opened in Trieste and yes, we prefer to eat the pizza there, because they usually use an open wood over that gives a peculiar smokey taste to the pizza base.
Ultima modifica di macondo il sab 28 gen 2006, 21:41, modificato 1 volta in totale.

babatriestina
senator
senator

Of course, the pizza made in pizzeria is logically the best, it dipends also from the pizzeria. some are with too much oil..
Making pizza at home isn't easy because the dough has to wait, and then it should be baked in an oven with real wood fire.
In the first years ( sixties) they sold some packets with the flour and yeast, you added some water, added tomato and cheese and baked in the home oven, but it was wery different from that of the pizzeria, now we find them freezed , pre-baked in a wood oven.. we cook them in the home oven. Not in a microwave oven, as they become a bit sticky!
Another way is order them in a pizzeria, they take then home.
Some time ago, in Italy, they used to make the pizza only in the evening, because they lighted the fire only once in a day. We see now the expression Pizza anche a mezzogiorno - Pizza also at noon...
Ultima modifica di babatriestina il lun 30 gen 2006, 17:35, modificato 1 volta in totale.

ffdt
Eximio
Eximio

Messaggio da ffdt »

minni ha scritto:[...]Tell me about your pizza traditions and do you eat it out in restaurants or prefer making it at home yourselves?
Well, the "pizza" is a variant from Naples (Napoli) of a real common italian baking ... they did add something to that old recipe :-)

Babatriestina is right when she recall that not all the pizza's restaurant (pizzeria) are cooking the same quality of pizza ... I remember the best pizza I ever eat was in a pizzeria in Naples ... I did never find elsewhere a similar pizza ... :-)

And the difference between the pizza cooked in the wood fire and the one we can make at home is a great one too, but I like both of them ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D even if we don't eat so much pizza ... Macondo is right when he point out that we have a syncretic cuisine ;-D

We are in between of some different cultures, so we have been influenced by all of them %-) ... even in the kitchen ;-D ... better if you come here to taste by yourself :-)

Ciau

Franco

Torna a “English section”