Nicknames for the enemy (and perhaps your allies ?)

Regole del forum
Collegamenti al regolamento del forum in varie lingue ed alle norme sulla privacy in italiano.
macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

Dear Ron

Something you probably don't know.
A while after you left our beloved town, a new uniform was introduced for the AMG Civil Police, aka Cerini.
It was practically identical to the London Metropolitan Police, with the addition of a M-1911 Colt 45 on the hip and, when required, with what it looks like a Winchester light rifle. Hence our Cerini were looking like the traditional London Bobby!!!

Below a still from a 1953 newsreel:

Immagine

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Cerinos in Trieste

Messaggio da Ron »

Dear Ron
Something you probably don't know.

Ciau Marino

You are quite right ....:

I didn't know about the new helmets :lol:

What you might not know, is that according to the old TV programs we used to watch in England, the policeman on his beat used to say "Hello, Hello, Hello "

Did their Triestinan counterparts say " Ciau, Ciau, Ciau " :lol: :lol:

That was what we in England refer to as a corny joke :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ciau a tutti

Ron

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
refolo

nickname for the enemy

Messaggio da refolo »

First of all our dear Comedian Cecchelin, give the name Cerini to our VGPF, at that time we used the matches from Sweden, similar with the white top.

English high rank official from Scotland Yard was in Trieste training them,
(this I do know very well , my husband was one of the Cerini).
At the begging it was give them a khaki color uniform, discharged by the above military, or policemen.

After (I already wrote this story somewhere else) they where told to get a dark blue color uniform, which my husband grandmother send the uniform in ""Tintoria"" or what you called Laundrette to change the requested color. The helmet was in white and after in darkest color.
What happen afterwards, this is a joke, or sound like a joke, during the rain season the color was dripping down the legs.

Few months later, they engaged a very well known firm ( Genel) to make the uniform fitted, so my husband receive two uniform, they kept the Khaki uniform for summer with a beret same color, but at least it was fitted not belong to others. Plus a blanket (which I still have it) long funny story. Australian Merinos (wool) send to England for the stamp (taxes-of approval).
Back to Trieste, manufacture by Italian factory, with the label ""MADE IN AUSTRALIA""

As a another joke, like Macondo explained, it was really like the English Bobby. The person (I forgot his name) who did everything was very strict
on this matter. My dear father, had the job to add the nasty piece of metal under they booths.
As for the word Cruchi I don't care, what the word is from, German language or else, we did call them like this always.
(as in Triestino we say....the son duro come un cruco, pezo delle piere del Carso). Yo're hard, worse that the rock from the Carso mountain.

Maria aka Refolo

PS. certainly someone around is older than me :?: who can agree with me :?:

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

A friend of mine, and a good friend of this forum, has given me his own opinion about this topic:

The Germans were always GNOCHI for the people of Trieste. Both with the meaning of 'potatoes dumplings' and that of 'stolid individuals'.
The Slavs (titoists) were known as DRUSI and also as CRICHI(before the war).
The British and Americans were usually known just as 'NGLESI and 'MERICANI, or ALEATI (allied) as generalisation.

Our famous comedian CECCHELIN, the very same one that invented the CERINI nickname, also baptized as POMODORI (tomatoes) the British MPs with the red berrets and VERZE (cabbages) those with dark green ones.

It would be only fair to mention also the nicknames given to us by some of the British and American contingent. For the first we were EYETIES, for the latter GUINNIES....

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Nicknames for the enemy (and perhaps your allies ?)

Messaggio da Ron »

Ciau Marino et al

Many thanks your contributions to my original query.

As an ex-British soldier of that period I have to hang my head in shame and admit that I too used to use the phrase "Eytie" without even considering whether or not it would have been regarded as derogative.

Auguri

Ron

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Nicknames

Messaggio da Ron »

It's me again.....

I had a look in the transcript of my Diaries for mention of the phrase 'Eyeties'. I found the following:

Saturday 21st. October 1944
Out in the afternoon at D Troop 90 Bty. manhandling guns and carrying ammo. When we returned flap was on. We move in morning, skid chains if wet, at 0700 hrs.
Sunday 22nd. October 1944
Through Firenzolia, roads murder as it had rained all night & was still raining. Had to evict eyeties out of house for Major Mouland.
Carried set up mountain to try & contact Batteries. Near Div cemetery.

nanaia
ixolan
ixolan

yankee

Messaggio da nanaia »

I never found the origine of this word. Some of our friends could be so kind to tell me?
All my love to you all!

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

What is the origin of Yankee?

Messaggio da Ron »

Hi Nanai

According to ANSWERS.COM the the origin of "Yankee" is as follows:

WORD HISTORY The origin of Yankee has been the subject of much debate, but the most likely source is the Dutch name Janke, meaning “little Jan” or “little John,” a nickname that dates back to the 1680s. Perhaps because it was used as the name of pirates, the name Yankee came to be used as a term of contempt. It was used this way in the 1750s by General James Wolfe, the British general who secured British domination of North America by defeating the French at Quebec. The name may have been applied to New Englanders as an extension of an original use referring to Dutch settlers living along the Hudson River. Whatever the reason, Yankee is first recorded in 1765 as a name for an inhabitant of New England. The first recorded use of the term by the British to refer to Americans in general appears in the 1780s, in a letter by Lord Horatio Nelson, no less. Around the same time it began to be abbreviated to Yank. During the American Revolution, American soldiers adopted this term of derision as a term of national pride. The derisive use nonetheless remained alive and even intensified in the South during the Civil War, when it referred not to all Americans but to those loyal to the Union. Now the term carries less emotion—except of course for baseball fans.

Ciao

Ron

nanaia
ixolan
ixolan

yankee

Messaggio da nanaia »

Thank you so much, Ron!

Tirabaralla
citadin
citadin

Messaggio da Tirabaralla »

Interesting. I hear it often but I had no idea. TY Ron.

[color=crimson][b][i]...it's not easy to be me...[/b][/i][/color]

[url]http://tirabaralla.splinder.com[/url]
[url]http://polaris7.splinder.com[/url]
[url]http://www.fotolog.com/tirabaralla_0/[/url]

Torna a “English section”