A British soldier remembers Trieste in 1946

Regole del forum
Collegamenti al regolamento del forum in varie lingue ed alle norme sulla privacy in italiano.
macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

Ron

Remember the United States Army Exchange Store refolo mentioned a couple of weeks ago? Here a very nice photo, as shown in another thread:

http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... re1gl9.jpg

refolo

British soldiers emember trieste

Messaggio da refolo »

Bravo!!!!! Macondo

(obiettivamente, nianche ti te me davi tela).....anyhow, the entrance of the shop or better known as the supermarket, was situate in via San Maurizio, just around the corner. I was there checking of what the American wives was purchasing for their children. Usually, my family had ""Fish and Polenta on friday""at the Osteria, just opposite the shop.
I have to said, that, even if I was never starve, for me to see a huge LOLLIPOPS, a box of daipers or a simple outfit for Halloween, it was like a novelty, or better a sign of rich people.

Maria aka Refolo

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

US Army Exchange

Messaggio da Ron »

Macondo/Maria

In 1946 the separate forces (US & British) kept very much to themselves and I certainly never got to use any of the US Army canteen facilities.

Having said that, the YMCA was "international" and we used to meet the Americans there.

Whilst on this point, I am still trying to find out where the YMCA premises were situated, I think it might have been in Viale XX Septembre and I have just sent an e-mail to another 4th Queen's Own Hussars man (who I found on BETFOR) to see if this was the case.

Ciau

Ron

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
refolo

british soldier remember trieste

Messaggio da refolo »

I am sure it was in Viale XX Settembre not far from Via Galileo Galilei.
My husband told me, that later ( he was a driver for the British) he used to pass in front to go' to the Military Hospital.

As far as getting together, Brits-American, they used to met at the Hunger
(the Idroscalo) for a drink or dance.

Maria aka refolo

babatriestina
senator
senator

Re: A British soldier remembers Trieste in 1946

Messaggio da babatriestina »

Ron ha scritto:On re-looking at Page 15 of my album there is a photo of me looking down onto Piazza Goldini from the steps of what I now know is the Sandrinelli Tunnel.
this is the perspective today, you can check with your photo
Immagine

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Looking down onto Piazza Goldoni

Messaggio da Ron »

Baba

Thanks, as near perfect as we are going to get it :!:

My present plan (which is likely to change 500 times before I actually return to Trieste) is to get a cab to San Giusto, perhaps visit the museum, then walk down the steps to Piazza Goldoni, stopping only to have a photo taken of myself from the original spot to show a 'before & after' difference :!:

From there, we (that is my wife & I) plan to walk to Viale XX Settembre and look for the elusive YMCA.

Half the fun in life is pleasurable anticipation and I have so many things I will want to see again in bella Trieste.

Ciau

Ron

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
Capuzi garbi

Messaggio da Capuzi garbi »

How did you manage to capture the moment in the photograph with so little traffic?

Last time I was home, six, almost seven years ago the traffic and the noise were quite unbearable.

babatriestina
senator
senator

Capuzi garbi ha scritto:How did you manage to capture the moment in the photograph with so little traffic?

Last time I was home, six, almost seven years ago the traffic and the noise were quite unbearable.
It was a holiday day :-D , november the 1, at 10.30 in the morning.
I live there, of course the windows facing the street are allways closed, I open those on the backyard :-D

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

More on Opicina

Messaggio da Ron »

Ciau Nanaia

As the Opicina resident (and therefore the expert) a question for you regarding the Tram service from Piazza Oberdan.

If the tram is running, is there a taxi service near the end of the line at Opicina? If I remember correctly it is quite a walk down to the barracks :roll:

Ron

nanaia
ixolan
ixolan

Opicina

Messaggio da nanaia »

Quite flattered by being an expert! As for the tram: in case it were out of service, there is a bus covering the same route (from Piazza Oberdan, via Commerciale, Strada Nuova per Opicina, Obelisco, Strada per Vienna:fifteen minutes in all).
You can always have a taxi, usually it's better using the call center. However, the barrack is not SO far from the tram stop: not only, if you give me notice in time, I will be only too glad to pick you and your wife up at the station and take you to the barrack. I'd consider it a privilege.
Let me know
Nanaia

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Return to Trieste & Opicina

Messaggio da Ron »

Ciau Nanaia

All being well, and G-d willing, I may very well take advantage of your extremely kind offer :lol:

As winter draws on here in England, I am enjoying myself planning our next year's trip to Trieste & Venice.

I have already booked hotels (3 nights in Trieste followed by 7 nights in Venice to recuperate) and as plans stand at present I intend to spend two evenings sitting at a table in Cafe Thomasseo having coffee (or something stronger) with some of the very nice people I have met on this site.

Ciau

Ron

sum culex
no montar in scagno
no montar in scagno

Re: barrack in Opicina

Messaggio da sum culex »

nanaia ha scritto:Hi Ron, I live in Opicina, so I’m very glad to send you some photos of what was your barrack in 1946. It’s still a barrack, so the possibilities of taking images is very limited and exclusively out of the military area, however……The sign is at the very beginning of the road leading to the main entrance of the barrack; the plate on the column on the right indicates the regiment now serving there, while the one on the left indicates the name given to the barrack.
The sentinel made an exception for me and allowed me to take just two photos after opening the main gate (there is at least one little advantage in being a middle aged, innocent looking lady……).
Then you have the two sentry boxes on the left corners of the barrack, looking on a street leading to Prosecco and farther on to Sistiana and Monfalcone.
The quality of the photos is modest, I’m not very skilful…
I hope you got what you were looking for
Nanaia
Caro RON
io no so l'inglese, nè purtroppo lo capisco: perdonami se scrivo in italiano, ma non sono in grado di fare altrimenti (forse qualcuno: vedi nannaia) potrà farti la traduzione.
Mi è sembrato di aver capito che desideravi alcune foto della Caserma di Opicina sita in via Prosecco: mio figlio più piccolo lavora lì ed è riuscito tramite un suo collega a procurarmi alcune foto dei posti che a loro è stato permesso di fotografare. Le metto in questa risposta sperando che almeno in parte possano accontentare il tuo desiderio. Altre immagini non possono essere riprese essendo questo un sito militare, soggetto di conseguenza a restrizioni ben comprensinìbili.

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

sum culex
no montar in scagno
no montar in scagno

Messaggio da sum culex »

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

sum culex
no montar in scagno
no montar in scagno

Messaggio da sum culex »

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

sum culex
no montar in scagno
no montar in scagno

Messaggio da sum culex »

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Scusami ancora se non ho potuto soddisfare in pieno il tuo desiderio, ma no sono stato in grado di fare di più.

ciao
sum culex

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

The barracks at Opicina

Messaggio da Ron »

Cara sum culex

Molte grazie per le bellissime fotografie, sono assai più di quel che speravo. :!:

Se tutto andrà bene, quando ritorno a Trieste l'anno venturo, forse mi permetteranno di scattarne alcune per conto mio.

Con cordiali saluti,
Ron

(Con i ringraziamenti al mio molto buon amico Peter Ghiringhelli per la traduzione)

AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

Ron, Sum Culex is a man ! "Caro", not "cara" :wink:

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

These silly Englishmen !

Messaggio da Ron »

Ron, Sum Culex is a man ! "Caro", not "cara"
Ooops ...... Scusare....... etcetera :oops:

I really must stop trying to reply in Italian/Triestin :'-(

Ron

babatriestina
senator
senator

Re: These silly Englishmen !

Ron ha scritto:Ooops ...... Scusare....... etcetera :oops:

I really must stop trying to reply in Italian/Triestin :'-(

Ron
keep trying! as I insist on writing in English! :-D

PeterG
Vilegiante
Vilegiante

Messaggio da PeterG »

Caro sum culex

That was my fault. I should have looked at the thread instead of just the email Ron sent me :oops:

Peter

La posibilità sempre ghe xe.

Torna a “English section”