A British soldier remembers Trieste in 1946

Regole del forum
Collegamenti al regolamento del forum in varie lingue ed alle norme sulla privacy in italiano.
PeterG
Vilegiante
Vilegiante

Messaggio da PeterG »

ffdt ha scritto: The song is dated 1943 and I'm nearly sure that they do publish the original version :-)

Ah, così si si canta! È proprio come me la ricordo nel 1944.

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

Ron ha scritto:
I'm now going to go on GOOGLE EARTH to search for Via Ghega to see if I can remember the route from the Tram Terminal
It is about 100 yards....

refolo

british soldiers remember trieste

Messaggio da refolo »

Macondo

It was in front of the CORONEO, and behind the Tram TERMINAL SHELTER.
a little street, paralel with Via Filzi? at the very end of via XXX Ottobre.
After, on the first floor it was converted for us to obtain the permission and a interview to migrate either in Venezuela or Australia.

nothing to do with via Ghega, the Rittmayer hotel, Germans hang 58 people, and after the restoration, converted for the Americans.

Maria aka refolo

Capuzi garbi

Re: british soldiers remember trieste

Messaggio da Capuzi garbi »

refolo ha scritto:Prima che me dimentico....la NAFFI EFFI iera difronte el tribunal.

La strada nel Bosco cantada da Giuseppe Lugo......che a quei tempi i lo gaveva nomina' come fio de Tagliavini!

In English: NAFFI EFFI was opposite the Court House, La strada nel Bosco was sung by Giuseppe Lugo, which by the triestini people it was more or less the son of the famous tenor Ferruccio Tagliavini!

Maria aka Refolo
Absolutely wrong: The song was sung originally by Gino Bechi and I believe it was featured in a film I think was entitled Canzone a due voci.

Lugo's most famous song, in his very short singing career was La mia canzone al vento and he was also reasonably popular for Cavallino corri e va.

Lugo was approximately 15 years older than Tagliavini. How the hell could he have been though as being the son of Ferruccio?

Capuzi garbi

Re: More memories

Ron ha scritto:It's me again......

We had just seen Primo Carnera boxing for the first (and last time, as far as we were concerned)......
Ciau

Ron
Hi Ron.

As a life long follower of boxing, I'd be interested if you could tell me something about that fight. Did the Ambling Alp win or lose the fight?

As undoubtedly you know, Carnera was never a great fighter. As a matter of fact, all boxing historian rate him as one of the poorest champion. Nevertheless he had a great fighting heart, not quitting in his corner even when beaten to a pulp by Max Baer and Joe Louis. He was the heaviest champion of all time and only Jessie Willard was half an inch taller.

He started his career as a circus strong man in France. Eventually he was talked into lacing up boxing gloves, and most of his boxing career of 104 bouts was spent in the USA, with a few bouts interspersed here and there, between Belgium, Brazil, Italy (only eight times), France, England, Spain and Germany.

As you point out, he won a fight in Trieste, against Sam Gardner who had never fought before or since, but the last three fights of his career he lost them all to a heavyweight called Luigi Musina, who became Italian champion, and who finished the Sequal's giant boxing days. Their second fight was also in Trieste.

I'd be curious to know which fight you saw.

By the way. I believe Henry Cooper would have easily stopped Primo.

Best regards.

L

refolo

british remember trieste

Messaggio da refolo »

Don't start with the usual debate, even if Lupo was 13 years older than Tagliavini, you do know that triestini are ""Alquanto Piccanti"" matter of speak.
Everybody sound the same. They did mentioned Beniamino Gigli as well.
He was the father of everybody.

as far as Carnera concerned, I told that he was at school with my mother ( I do have photos to proved.) I don't care about fight, it's not my favourite sport, at that time Loy, Mitri. Bevilacqua come after, the youngerst one.

For the Naffi Effi, I was there having la BOBA!!!!! distributed by the the Brithish.
And to finalize, in 1945 you were at list 3-4 years old, no more than that.

Maria aka refolo

Capuzi garbi

Re: british remember trieste

refolo ha scritto:......as far as Carnera concerned, I told that he was at school with my mother ( I do have photos to proved.) I don't care about fight, it's not my favourite sport, at that time Loy, Mitri. Bevilacqua come after, the youngerst one.

For the Naffi Effi, I was there having la BOBA!!!!! distributed by the the Brithish.
And to finalize, in 1945 you were at list 3-4 years old, no more than that.

Maria aka refolo
Like usual you are carping up the wrong tree. You make up stories and you expect people to believe you. What a load of rubbish.

I don't give a hoot if your mother and Primo played hop scotch together. I asked Ron about the fight that he saw. Nothing more, nothing less. You had absolutely no right to butt in, especially since you could not answer me.

As far as the rest of you message, Naffi et al, nobody argued with you.

babatriestina
senator
senator

Re: british remember trieste

Messaggio da babatriestina »

refolo ha scritto: even if Lugo was 13 years older than Tagliavini, you do know that triestini are ""Alquanto Piccanti"" matter of speak.
Everybody sound the same. They did mentioned Beniamino Gigli as well.
He was the father of everybody.
I dont' know why you say that we are "piccanti" about singers, but I saw Tagliavini ( at the Verdi, as Werther) and Lugo was already dead at that time. I don't understand why you speak about Gigli here, we were speaking about Carnera and that EFFI ( by the way, it's the first time I hear this name), but lesser I understand who and why you state was the father of everybody. One of the most popular song by Gigli was Mamma , followed after by Pavarotti.

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

Sep 25 Sam Gardner Trieste, Italy KO 1
Dear Capuzi

The one thing about posting articles on this site is the way my memory is put to the test :lol:

To get the answer for you I went back to my Album (Page 41) and saw that I was wearing gloves against the chilly weather. Obviously the September 25th match against Sam Gardner and, as the record shows, it was a knockout in round one..... we didn't get much of a fight for our money :!:

I am afraid I have never been much of a fan or expert on boxing matters but I would never have forgiven myself for not seeing Carnera who was a world wide legend in 1946.

Ciau

Ron

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
Capuzi garbi

Ron ha scritto:
Sep 25 Sam Gardner Trieste, Italy KO 1
Dear Capuzi

The one thing about posting articles on this site is the way my memory is put to the test :lol:

To get the answer for you I went back to my Album (Page 41) and saw that I was wearing gloves against the chilly weather. Obviously the September 25th match against Sam Gardner and, as the record shows, it was a knockout in round one..... we didn't get much of a fight for our money :!:

I am afraid I have never been much of a fan or expert on boxing matters but I would never have forgiven myself for not seeing Carnera who was a world wide legend in 1946.

Ciau

Ron
Dear Ron,

thank you so much for your prompt answer. Yes :!: You certainly did not get your money's worth in that fight. But that is boxing I guess.

I find it interesting that as late as 1946 Carnera was still regarded as a legend. He had lost the title to Max Baer over ten years earlier and the truth about some of his victories had long been revealed. Then again, some Italians still regard him as a great champion today.

Luckily for him, he made up for the time lost (financially at least) by taking USA citizenship and becoming a grappler as a wrestler. The film which starred Anthony Quinn, Requiem for a heavyweight is reportedly partly based on his career. Later he opened up a very successful liquor store and became wealthy.

Poor Primo died at the young age of 60, but returned to the land of his birth before expiring.

Cheers, Lucio

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Re: british soldiers remember trieste

Messaggio da macondo »

refolo ha scritto:Macondo

It was in front of the CORONEO, and behind the Tram TERMINAL SHELTER.
a little street, paralel with Via Filzi? at the very end of via XXX Ottobre.
After, on the first floor it was converted for us to obtain the permission and a interview to migrate either in Venezuela or Australia.

nothing to do with via Ghega, the Rittmayer hotel, Germans hang 58 people, and after the restoration, converted for the Americans.

Maria aka refolo
Then it must be the Hotel Posta (or Albergo alla Posta) which is just behind, as refolo said, the tram terminal shelter. A very convenient location for the soldiers coming down from Opicina....
Allegati
p-albergoposta1.jpg
Ultima modifica di macondo il gio 12 ott 2006, 12:10, modificato 2 volte in totale.

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

Dear Mac

You are a researcher after my own heart :lol:

Now, if you really want to clinch the matter, could you contact the hotel and ask them whether or not the premises were used by the NAAFI around 1946 and whether or not there was a mural in the dining room with the inscription "In Vino Veritas"

This should be fun :lol:

Ron

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

Unfortunately the Hotel doesn't have an email address; only an online form for booking :'-( Furthermore, it seems that the hotel has undergone a major upgrade work with a radical redecoration...Very likely, the In Vino Veritas motto has disappeared....

Anyone in Trieste that can follow-up this thread, maybe with a few photos or just memories?
Ultima modifica di macondo il gio 12 ott 2006, 12:27, modificato 1 volta in totale.

refolo

british remembered trieste

Messaggio da refolo »

How dare telling me that I invented?..
I am not carping....or barking on trees, I was there!
You better check the book that you are reading....perhaps there is a few
paragraphs which doesn't give you the right answer.

Maria aka Refolo

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

I do remember that in the late 60, when I was periodically visiting their premises, the bar-restaurant was separated from the hotel and it seemed to me to be a different enterprise. Located on the right side of the main entrance, it was a rather large hall.
Cannot remember any mural, I am afraid.... :'-(

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

Hi Mac

I just had a brainwave :idea:

I went to the BETFOR site: http://www.milhist.net/betfor/photo/pla ... 32x234.jpg
and lo and behold there was an actual photo of the NAAFI :!:

NOW tell me where it actually was or is today :-D

Ron

babatriestina
senator
senator

Messaggio da babatriestina »

I see.. and Maria was right when she spoke of "in front of Coroneo" :-D :-D :-D
Prima che me dimentico....la NAFFI EFFI iera difronte el tribunal.
In English: NAFFI EFFI was opposite the Court House
it is exactly opposite the right side of the Court House :-D
This in in via Coroneo, and it is (or was) the seat of the Goethe Institut, where I went many years ago to a course of German ( with very little results :'-( :oops: ). Now it hosts another cultural German society. I think, but I'm not completely sure, that it was , before the first War, the seat of the Schillerverein, the German cultural club. Understandably the Germans had used it

refolo

british soldier remember Trieste

Messaggio da refolo »

Betta,

I nominated Gigli because people was under the impression that he fathered
Tagliavini, when people, talks even nuisance, they go by the flow of the voice not age.

I didn't check the date of birth, I reported what I have heard at that time.
Usual I don't go to read out different.

And Pavarotti ? the media ask him, if he was the father of Bocelli, for the similarity of the voices.

Maria aka refolo

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

babatriestina ha scritto: This in in via Coroneo, and it is (or was) the seat of the Goethe Institut
I have to be very cautious to add my comments. I gave you already two red herrings, hence take my words with a pinch of salt. This building in via Coroneo was part of the so-called Kleine Berlin during the German occupation. Apparently it was the provisional HQ of the notorious Odilo Globocnik (thus closing the full circle of coincidences :wink: ).
On later date, it was the German Consulat in the OZAK (Operationszonen Adriatisches Küstenland), which was the name given to the region during the 1943-45 occupation.

1) The Opicina tram terminus

2) NAAFI
Allegati
goethe.jpg

ffdt
Eximio
Eximio

Messaggio da ffdt »

Macondo, I'm sorry to say that the goethe institut's building that we can see in the photo linked by Ron isn't where you did place the "2" in your map but it's nearly where I did put the red circle

just to help a little bit the memory, I did add (in blue color) the opcina's tram railway

relating to the kleine berlin, to my knowledge it's nearly in the zone I did selected in gray ... I'm not an expert on this topic, but I can recall to be in a guided tour into some of the galleries, and they are some street away from via coroneo ... I can't say for sure that it isn't any underground tunnel that go from the kleine berlin to the goethe, but I did never heard of it :-)

anyway this have only a topological value and I don't argue about the historic facts that you do mention about Globocnik :-)

ciau

Franco
Allegati
map.jpg
Ultima modifica di ffdt il ven 13 ott 2006, 1:03, modificato 1 volta in totale.

Torna a “English section”