for Ron

Regole del forum
Collegamenti al regolamento del forum in varie lingue ed alle norme sulla privacy in italiano.
nanaia
ixolan
ixolan

for Ron

Messaggio da nanaia »

Dear Mr. Goldstein, I read with enormous interest your memories of the period you spent in Trieste in the late forties. I have always been extremely interested in the history of World War II. Obviously the part of it connected with my own city has an even greater interest: you can’t imagine the deep emotion I felt, seeing how Trieste and Italy as a whole remained in your heart. I never stop feeling surprised noticing that former enemies then stop being such, sometimes turning to friends (Larry, for all). Probably this is the positive side of human beings. I did enjoy every single photograph, every single page of your diary: thank you for sharing with us such precious rememberings.Keep in contact with us, please! It will be always a joy.
Nanaia

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

Dear Nanaia

Many thanks for your too kind words.
I think that this is a delightful website and, all being well, I hope to discover in time the joys of Trieste that I never got around to in 1946.

Ciau

Ron

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
Capuzi garbi

Messaggio da Capuzi garbi »

Dear Ron,

I too, like Nanaia have spent quite bit of time, and a very pleasant time at that, going through your army diary. I have not finished yet.

My God, you were only nineteen when you were called up!

I have been lucky that I have never been involved in any sort of war, but I must admit the thought of having to serve in a conflict like the 2nd WW, in the conditions you were expected to fight, let alone survive, fill my heart with terror and anguish for the suffering that one must have had to put up.

Thank goodness you were able to call up on your British spirit and see the lighter side of things when everything must have appeared absolutely hopeless.

I have a question to ask you: You already answered me one on Carnera.

You once attended a performance of Carmen at the Castello di San Giusto. You said that there was a cast of hundreds. I presume the majority would have been extras in the bullring and the smuggler scenes, as the opera only has 10 singing principals and one spoken part plus a chorus.

But I would like to know if the work was sung in French or in Italian as some Italian opera houses of the period used to do, and most importantly, what were the names of the principal performers, mainly Carmen, Jose`, Micaela and Escamillo, and if possible, who was the conductor?

I looked through the Teatro Verdi web site that was responsible for mounting the productions at S Giusto, but while they list Carmen during that season, they do not mention the singers.

Cheers. L

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

But I would like to know if the work was sung in French or in Italian as some Italian opera houses of the period used to do, and most importantly, what were the names of the principal performers, mainly Carmen, Jose`, Micaela and Escamillo, and if possible, who was the conductor?
Dear Capuzi

Much as I would like to be of help, sixty years have passed since that night of 1946 and you ask too much of my memory. :oops:
May I suggest that Maria supplies this information, after all she is much younger than I and is more likely to have remembered the cast, etc. :lol: :lol:

I can however tell you about a superb performance of Carmen that I saw at Verona on the 19th July 1996 with Denyce Graves as Carmen & Neil Shicofff as Don Jose. The reason I can remember that performance is because I have full details and photos in my 1996 Holiday Album :lol:

With regards to my Army Album & Diaries, you mention how I was only 19 years when I was called up, strangely enough I am still only 19, it's only my body that thinks it is 83 :-D

Ciau

Ron

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
refolo

per Ron

Messaggio da refolo »

Ron,
sorry, I should have tell you to get in touch with Arthur from your Brithish section. The Betford, in a proper military way.

As far as Goldstein name concerned, you are lucky there is one specialize in culinary section his name is Joyce Goldstein. I used to cook the artichocke with other vegies, like him, but mine is with green peas only.

there is plenty of BELSASSO, which it means Goldstein. Have a nice day, and a good hunting.

Maria ka refolo

babatriestina
senator
senator

Re: per Ron

Messaggio da babatriestina »

refolo ha scritto: there is plenty of BELSASSO, which it means Goldstein.
The Belsasso here in Trieste were Schoenstein , before the "translation" :wink:

refolo

for Ron

Messaggio da refolo »

I agree with you Betta, but still I don't believe they had to chose a name equal a Sassod'oro.
In a fonetic way, Belsasso sound better.
anyhow it is a Goldstein in Trieste.

ciao Maria aka refolo

Torna a “English section”