Practice your English. Help and advice.

Regole del forum
Collegamenti al regolamento del forum in varie lingue ed alle norme sulla privacy in italiano.
ffdt
Eximio
Eximio

Messaggio da ffdt »

best wishes for an happy new year for all of you in the english section :-)

ciau

Franco

AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

These are the last days of school for kids: then "school is over" or "school is out" ?
For me the right one is "is over" but I've found the other one on a magazine and I'm a little bit confused :roll:

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Over or out?

Messaggio da Ron »

The first "school is over" suggests that the days of schooling are over, finito, non piu, and is very much English in origin.

The second "school is out" is, I would suggest, American in origin and suggests that the happening is of a temporary nature.

That's how I would read it but I'm sure that Peter, next time he sees this, is going to say that I am grammatically incorrect.

Ciau

Ron

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
PeterG
Vilegiante
Vilegiante

Messaggio da PeterG »

LOL. Ron, I wouldn't dream of it. American usage clearly favours 'school is out' for the long summer break, witness these examples: http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/s ... hp?t=41729 and http://washparkprophet.blogspot.com/200 ... s-out.html

But in British usage, or at least in the Midlands and in the North, 'school is out' refers to the exit of children from school at the end of the day.

As Ron says, school is over refers to the end of schooling as in the sentence When school is over, my duty will be to help others and I won’t quit until I serve my god appropriately. in this essay here http://faculty.whatcom.ctc.edu/swinans/lane4.htm

Peter

La posibilità sempre ghe xe.
AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

Thanks a lot :wink:

carso1967
vilegiante
vilegiante

Re: Over or out?

Messaggio da carso1967 »

Ron ha scritto: The second "school is out" is, I would suggest, American in origin and suggests that the happening is of a temporary nature.

Ron
School is over or school is off. Either way's fine in American English anyway the best would be school is over when you mean the school year has ended.
When l say > l'm off from school l mean l took some days to spend a short vacation... or whatever else.

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

English as she is spoke !

Messaggio da Ron »

Hi Carso

Was it Churchill who said of the US & England "Two countries separated by a common language" :lol:

Ciao

Ron

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

Ok , another question: listening to music is not to difficult to heard about something called "kiss & tell". Now I do understand what kiss and tell separately means, anyway I'm afraid that together they get a new meaning, right ?

carso1967
vilegiante
vilegiante

Re: English as she is spoke !

Messaggio da carso1967 »

Ron ha scritto:Hi Carso

Was it Churchill who said of the US & England "Two countries separated by a common language" :lol:

Ciao

Ron
Uh... don't know whether it was Churchill to state that but believe me there's even an ocean between US and England :lol: :lol:

Ciao

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Kiss & Tell

Messaggio da Ron »

AdlerTS ha scritto:Ok , another question: listening to music is not to difficult to heard about something called "kiss & tell". Now I do understand what kiss and tell separately means, anyway I'm afraid that together they get a new meaning, right ?
When I was a very young man the phrase referred to a young girl who would announce to her friends that "Tommy Jones had kissed me behind the school shed" and this was known as "kiss & tell".

Nowadays, when the media sets the scene for most of our lives, it usually refers to women of a certain character who claim they know the secrets of a well known footballer and are prepared to sell their stories to a national newspaper.

AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

It's clear, thanks :wink:

nanaia
ixolan
ixolan

GB versus USA

Messaggio da nanaia »

Ciao

Ron
Also G.B. Shaw stated: There even are places where English completely disappeared: in America they haven't used for years :lol:

carso1967
vilegiante
vilegiante

Re: GB versus USA

Messaggio da carso1967 »

nanaia ha scritto:

Ciao

Ron
Also G.B. Shaw stated: There even are places where English completely disappeared: in America they haven't used for years :lol:
... And the Americans did pretty well not to use it :lol: :lol:

babatriestina
senator
senator

Messaggio da babatriestina »

Another question:
I read on the Web that a lady in the morning feeds her critters.
I understand that she is speaking of her pets, but exactly, what those critters are? I didn't find the word in my dictionary, I'm suspecting it's American English.

Tirabaralla
citadin
citadin

Messaggio da Tirabaralla »

I think there's a corrispondence between "creature" and "critter" and also between the italian "bestia, bestiolina" and "critter", I also remember that when I was searching infos on hamsters I found "critters" used refferring most of the times to small rodents and to "procioni" and "furetti" (I dunno the translation for those and I'm to lazy too look for it...lol) and similar animals.

[color=crimson][b][i]...it's not easy to be me...[/b][/i][/color]

[url]http://tirabaralla.splinder.com[/url]
[url]http://polaris7.splinder.com[/url]
[url]http://www.fotolog.com/tirabaralla_0/[/url]
macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

Phonetically 'critter' and '(living) creature' are very similar. I believe it is an Americanism and, allegedly, 'critters' are often used in some rural area of the USA to call all kind of farm animals, including cows, horses, mules etc. It can be also used to call a child or even a person, as for 'the poor critter'.

It became popular, as 'critters' (plural), for all sort of fantasy small animals, sometimes a bit evil or just naughty.
In the UK, the term 'critters' are usually employed to define domestic rodents of any kind.

babatriestina
senator
senator

Messaggio da babatriestina »

i begin to understand...
1 I had the impression that the critters were some rodents, but I was puzzled why so many people hosted rodents at home!!! :shock:
2 the americans are simplifying , and logically, I would say: if creature , from the latin verb creo, creas, creare is read as crìter or crìtar, why not write it critter??

dcobau
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da dcobau »

baba,

the yanks (americans) are famous for writing words the way they sound. For example, you will find (in america) many terms used daily which are grossly misspelled such as:

tonite = tonight

Not only that, many terms in 'american' english have different spelling from 'english' english such as:

jail = gaol
valor = valour
honor = honour

Reading a book you can pick up if the author is English or American by these words.

Of course the pronounciation remains the same.

saluti

Dave

AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

...also the first name Geoffrey or Jeffrey :-D

Coce
Ixolan
Ixolan

Irregolarities

Messaggio da Coce »

There are many irregularities even in English "Proper", that is the reason
one must spell continuosly, specially the names of persons. In my conputer, Microsoft has got a spellcheck in American English, and any word that is not written in their way, specially non British in origin come up as incorrect even though they are perfectly correct. Ciao Coce :-)

La vita
Piu' che la pendi
Piu' la rendi

Torna a “English section”