Flying visit to Trieste

Regole del forum
Collegamenti al regolamento del forum in varie lingue ed alle norme sulla privacy in italiano.
Ron
ixolan
ixolan

The infamous tram to Opicina

Messaggio da Ron »

Since I first came across this site (thanks to Maria AKA Refolo) I have been making enquiries about whether or not the tram was still in action.

True to the law that says "if it's possible for something to happen, it WILL happen" :evil: .

On the day I had scheduled to take Nita on the tram to Opicina it wasn't working as a car accident the previous night had blocked the line !

We made the best of a bad job by going up to the Opicina by the No.2 Bus service (which followed the same route) and Nita took a picture at the tram terminus.
Allegati
IMGP0033.JPG
IMGP0031.JPG
IMGP0030.JPG

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
Ron
ixolan
ixolan

The Castle at San Giusto ?

Messaggio da Ron »

One of the problems in "going back" is that the rest of the world is doing its "own thing" and not making any attempt to fit in with your plans. :roll:

An example of this is when I wanted to show Nita the Castle at San Giusto.

It was hot on the day we decided to go, too far to walk so we took a cab.

It was only when we got to the site that we discovered the Castle was closed for reconstruction so after a brief walk round the ruins and unable to find somewhere to have a meal we decided to return.
No problem, you would think, but also no taxis around or any sign of a taxi rank.

It was then that I spotted this police car and I went over to talk to one of the officers. I showed him some photos taken in 1946 and said that Trieste was not being very nice to an old soldier.
He immediately said "would you like me to call you a taxi?" and two minutes later the honour of Trieste had been maintained !
Allegati
IMGP0083.JPG
IMGP0081.JPG

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
ffdt
Eximio
Eximio

Re: The Castle at San Giusto ?

Messaggio da ffdt »

Ron ha scritto:[...]He immediately said "would you like me to call you a taxi?"[...]
well, Ron ... you did save the honour of the city police :-) they was speaking a foreign language and they was helpful :-) ... being a triestin I thank you for your kind words :-)

Franco

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Meeting up in Trieste

Messaggio da Ron »

Ciao Franco

Thought you might like to see a few more pics.
As you can see, I soon found Zampolli in Viale XX Settembre but the James Joyce figure was not there in my time :lol:

Ron
Allegati
048-IMGP0079.JPG
010-IMGP0027.JPG
006-IMGP0022.JPG

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Spotted near our hotel

Messaggio da Ron »

This amused us
(Spotted in Via del Geppa)
Allegati
064-IMGP0097.JPG

Nona Picia
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da Nona Picia »

Belle foto e bei ricordi!

Ciao ciao
Trova un minuto per pensare, trova un minuto per pregare,
trova un minuto per ridere.
"MADRE TERESA"

"La Mama l’è talmen un tesor de valur che l’ha vorüda anche Noster Signur" .....
ffdt
Eximio
Eximio

Messaggio da ffdt »

very nice pictures, indeed

thank you Ron for sharing them with us :-)

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

Ron

Very nice photos indeed!

But what about some loose threads we left behind from your early queries?

Have you been able to positively identify the location of the NAAFI restaurant, that with the 'IN VINO VERITAS" motto?
And the YMCA where you used to take your weekly laundry?
And, finally, the 'ANTICA..." restaurant where they gave you a fine dinner in exchange for a tin of 50 "SENIOR SERVICE"?

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Identifying old haunts

Messaggio da Ron »

Have you been able to positively identify the location of the NAAFI restaurant, that with the 'IN VINO VERITAS" motto?
And the YMCA where you used to take your weekly laundry?
And, finally, the 'ANTICA..." restaurant where they gave you a fine dinner in exchange for a tin of 50 "SENIOR SERVICE"?
Hi Mac

Glad you like the snaps.

With regards to my research, only one positive success out of three, I'm afraid.

I always do an early morning walk (between 7am and 8am) even when on holiday, and I did try so hard to spot where the YMCA was. I found a couple of older type buildings in Viale XX Settembre that could have been the spot and I certainly found the Zampoli ice cream bar.

The NAAFI I also couldn't recognise and despite much searching I couldn't locate the restaurant at all despite walking the length of Via Carducci several times.

I still give myself 10 out of ten for the Goldoni tunnel picture !

I also did a guided tour of the Synagogue and was able to give them some information about when the Germans left explosives there before leaving the city.

I am so pleased I was able to return to Trieste and show Nita what it looked like.

Ciao

Ron

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

The Goldoni tunnel picture, or picture with the picture, was certainly one of the highlight of your short visit 8) 8)

What about the general feelings arriving in town? I believe that Trieste hasn't change a lot in 60 years, but still, human memory can play a few tricks..So, it was relatively easy for you to retrace your steps in our city?

And what about the Opicina Barracks? Are they completely different now? And I believe you didn't attempt to visit them, also considering the lack of reply to your letter(s)?

And I hope you have had the time to pay a little visit to the old Jewish quarters, known to us with the vernacular name of gheto, squeezed just between the Corso and the Questura (Police HQ).

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Re-living old times

Messaggio da Ron »

Mac

I felt it had not changed at all and when I turned the corner from Via Carducci into Piazza Goldoni It was quite "spooky"....I felt I was back in 1946 !

As far as the barracks were concerned I would not ask Nita to do the long walk down the road after I had been so dis-courteously treated by the Commandante and so I must be content with my memories.

We visited the Ghetto area and also the Synagogue (that's Nita waiting to join a tour and one shot of the interior)

Finally I was impressed with the way they had brightened up the banks of the Grand Canal with the cafes.... they certainly were not there in 1946 !
Allegati
056-IMGP0089.JPG
045-IMGP0076.JPG
043-IMGP0074.JPG

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Re: Re-living old times

Messaggio da macondo »

Ron ha scritto: I felt it had not changed at all and when I turned the corner from Via Carducci into Piazza Goldoni It was quite "spooky"....I felt I was back in 1946
Even the ZAMPOLLI sign was still the same!!!

ffdt
Eximio
Eximio

Messaggio da ffdt »

Ron, thank you for the photo named 045-IMGP0076.JPG ... I did never been in the synagogue and it's a pleasure to me to see its inside :-)

Torna a “English section”