learn english for free

Regole del forum
Collegamenti al regolamento del forum in varie lingue ed alle norme sulla privacy in italiano.
e1a2w3

learn english for free

Messaggio da e1a2w3 »

hey everone , hope ur enjoying summer

im an American living in Trieste , i study in trieste , im offering to teach english for italian in trieste

the age should be around 16- 20 years old , and know basic english :)

see u :)

AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

Unfortunately I think that nobody here is about 16-20 yrs :wink:
Do you already speak a little italian ?

Mal no far, paura no gaver.
nonna ivana
Notabile
Notabile

Messaggio da nonna ivana »

penso proprio che il linguaggio sia per quella età!!!!
Peccato, io ho un multiplo alto... :wink:

ivana

la curiosità è il colore della mente
Coce
Ixolan
Ixolan

Post subject

Messaggio da Coce »

In his introduction The gentleman (E1A2W3) certainly did not give a great impression, He made several errors even taking it from the American jargon point of view, but then Nonna Ivana, I have seen many strange things with English, surprasingly, people af all ages, and of all level of education seem to be able to learn it. Ciao Coce :-)

La vita
Piu' che la pendi
Piu' la rendi
nonna ivana
Notabile
Notabile

Re: Post subject

Coce ha scritto:In his introduction The gentleman (E1A2W3) certainly did not give a great impression, He made several errors even taking it from the American jargon point of view, but then Nonna Ivana, I have seen many strange things with English, surprasingly, people af all ages, and of all level of education seem to be able to learn it. Ciao Coce :-)
Infatti, mi ero resa conto di quale livello poteva essere---forse lo scopo era altro!!!
Io capisco l'inglese scritto, magari capisco meglio un testo scientifico che un linguaggio moderno, ma mi arrangio!

Ciao :-D

ivana

serlilian
distinto
distinto

Messaggio da serlilian »

I prefer not to learn this kind of english, or SMSglish. :evil:

[i]Liliana[/i]
- . - . -
[size=75][i]"Quando comincia una guerra, la prima vittima è la Verità.
Quando la guerra finisce, le bugie dei vinti sono smascherate,
quelle dei vincitori, diventano Storia."
(A. Petacco - La nostra guerra)[/size][/i]
Elisa
Eximio
Eximio

Messaggio da Elisa »

....quel gentleman, probabilmente deve star ancora correndo a nascondersi!!! :oops:

"Todo lo bueno me ha sido dado"
serlilian
distinto
distinto

Messaggio da serlilian »

lol

I chat with english and american people. They often write in a terrible way. Once I apologized for my bad English and one of them answered that he would be very glad if his colleagues could write as well as I could. I felt very proud. But unfortunately I cannot speak English as well as I would like. My biggest problem are the tenses of verbs.

Chatto con inglesi e americani, che scrivono spesso in un modo terribile. Una volta mi sono scusata per il mio cattivo inglese e uno di loro mi ha detto che sarebbe felice se i suoi colleghi sapessero scrivere bene come me. Mi sono sentita molto orgogliosa, anche se purtroppo non so parlare in inglese bene come vorrei. Il mio più grosso problema sono i tempi dei verbi.

[i]Liliana[/i]
- . - . -
[size=75][i]"Quando comincia una guerra, la prima vittima è la Verità.
Quando la guerra finisce, le bugie dei vinti sono smascherate,
quelle dei vincitori, diventano Storia."
(A. Petacco - La nostra guerra)[/size][/i]
AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

An useful schedule about the American and British English spelling differences is here

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

Adler
An useful schedule about the American and British English spelling differences is here
Mi scusa !

I'm sure you meant "A useful schedule"

For the benefit of others, as the word USEFUL is pronounced as though it begins with a Y then the rule about using the word "an" before a vowel (such as "an apple) does not apply.

Ciao !

Ron

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

There's always something new to know :-D
For my italian ear "useful" do not begin with the Y :P maybe with I (iuseful) :-)
Many thanks !

urban
Naufrago
Naufrago

Messaggio da urban »

Well, phonetically it starts with a "Y" sound, i.e. /j/ if you're familiar with the IPA. But "iuseful" is a close enough transcription, or you could also go for "yuseful"... correct IPA transcription is /'ju:sfəl/, I think. An "I" sound would yield something like "ee-ooseful", and such a word would indeed require the "an" article.

Bottom line: in English just like in Italian, the phoneme /j/ messes with the preceding article. So "lo yoga" instead of "il yoga", and "a unicorn" instead of "an unicorn".

Ursus Canadiensis
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ursus Canadiensis »

AdlerTS ha scritto:There's always something new to know :-D
For my italian ear "useful" do not begin with the Y :P maybe with I (iuseful) :-)
Many thanks !
The simplest of all explanations is that in English, the article "a" will precede any word that starts with the sound of "yu."

Ex:
a United States Decree
a unique episode
a uniformed chap

Arnie

If at first you don't succeed, try reading the instruction manual.
nonna ivana
Notabile
Notabile

flag_it

Ecco, questa è una di quelle piccole regoline che si trovavano belle citate nelle mie care vecchie grammatiche, dove tutto era sistemato per benino, senza figurine, senza tanti marchingegni, che poi ti rimanevano in testa per decenni (va be' ormai non c'è più la mia di testa!).
Come l'acca muta con an....
Non scrivo in inglese....perché non mi vengono le parole adesso...però vi capisco!

Grazie davvero... :-D

ivana

urban
Naufrago
Naufrago

Messaggio da urban »

When you only write English and seldom speak it, the "a/an" rule can seem arbitrary and perhaps somewhat random. But in a spoken sentence, associations such as "an hero", "an utensil" or "a airplane" immediately sound strange, and you won't even be tempted to pronounce them out loud.
Just like saying "il zaino", "il studente" or "lo treno" in Italian ;-)

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

Urban
When you only write English and seldom speak it, the "a/an" rule can seem arbitrary and perhaps somewhat random. But in a spoken sentence, associations such as "an hero", "an utensil" or "a airplane" immediately sound strange, and you won't even be tempted to pronounce them out loud.
Exactly !

I have to confess that I left school at the age of thirteen, although I always used to fill the "Education" box in my C.V. with "Left school at the age of thirteen but has continued education ever since "

It is the sound that of "a apple" that would be strange to me.

Thanks for pointing this out !

Regards

Ron

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
Ursus Canadiensis
ixolan
ixolan

urban ha scritto:When you only write English and seldom speak it, the "a/an" rule can seem arbitrary and perhaps somewhat random. But in a spoken sentence, associations such as "an hero", "an utensil" or "a airplane" immediately sound strange, and you won't even be tempted to pronounce them out loud.
I don't know who ca;;s a hero AN hero, bt if you meet him, send him to enrol in a refresher courso of diction 101.

Arnie :-D :-D :-D

nonna ivana
Notabile
Notabile

Son cose che succedono!
Si sta parlando di come si può conoscere una lingua straniera..a volte come se fosse una lingua morta, almeno per la pronuncia, se coloro che la praticano solo per ricerche e studio, non hanno la dimestichezza con la lingua parlata!
Non è una colpa!
E' pur sempre encomiabile ingegnarsi e avvicinare una lingua per proprio piacere e desiderio di conoscenza! :-D

ivana

urban
Naufrago
Naufrago

Messaggio da urban »

Ivana: you are absolutely right, there's no problem in studying a language just for fun, and never speaking it! I was just saying that some rules are much easier to remember when you speak the language, and will seem strange if you just read and write it.

Arnie Coburg: interestingly, the expression "an hero" has a special status in Web culture, it's a somewhat well-known expression (as the 124.000 Google hits demonstrate). Long story short, in 2006 some kid committed suicide because his iPod had been stolen. On a memorial webpage, one of his friends left a message of rememberance saying "He was such an hero, to take it all away. We miss him so, That you should know, And we honor him this day...", and some cruel people mocked that mistake as well as the poor kid's suicide. Yeah, not cool. Ever since, the phrase "to become an hero" has been a possible synonym for suicide in internet-speak. The Web works in mysterious ways, doesn't it? :-)

Ursus Canadiensis
ixolan
ixolan

It might well be common place in the Web site, Urban but, it has very little traction in English grammar books. It would be no different from calling a hamster an hamster a pipe an pipe . I mean, how far do we want to tear apart the poor old language?

Do and favour, there, Urban please! :36_11_6: :cartello_lol: :36_1_12:

Arnie

Torna a “English section”