learn english for free

Regole del forum
Collegamenti al regolamento del forum in varie lingue ed alle norme sulla privacy in italiano.
nonna ivana
Notabile
Notabile

Messaggio da nonna ivana »

urban ha scritto:Ivana: you are absolutely right, there's no problem in studying a language just for fun, and never speaking it! I was just saying that some rules are much easier to remember when you speak the language, and will seem strange if you just read and write it.
Naturalmente, come avevo citato in precedenza, la base scolastica, grammaticale ci deve essere, e per me era davvero abbastanza forte, ma purtroppo, data la mia età, parecchio si è offuscato, solo ultimamente ho stimoli per rifrequentarla!!
Grazie per gli esempi e le chiare spiegazioni!!!

flag_uk [short translation by Adler)

Grammar is essential and I learnt english time ago: unfortunately at my age I cannot remember everything very well. Lately I have this renewal of interest.
Many thanks for the clear explanation !!!

ivana

la curiosità è il colore della mente
urban
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da urban »

Arnie, make no mistake, no-one is implying that "an hero" should become an accepted form. It is obviously still a grammar error, but one which has attained the status of popular cultural reference... a very obscure and very silly one, indeed, but a cultural reference nonetheless.

Other example: the word "unpossible". It will not appear in dictionaries anytime soon, yet it's a semi-famous word for anyone who is familiar with the Simpsons. This is because it's one of Ralph Wiggum's most famous and ironic lines: "Me, fail English? That's unpossible!". In fact, the Simpsons cartoon series is argued to have contributed other terms to the English language, as described in this recent article.

Ursus Canadiensis
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ursus Canadiensis »

"Oh, why can't the English...
Why can't the English...
learn how to......
set a good example:"

Professor Higgins

If at first you don't succeed, try reading the instruction manual.
Ursus Canadiensis
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ursus Canadiensis »

I think I am going to stop contributing in this forum because I am so used to being able to correct my text after I have posted that it's driving me nuts not to be able to .

If anybody can explain to me why one cannot edit one's own posts within a limited time frame, I would be very grateful to him or her indeed, because I certainly can't see any plausible reason to justify this restriction – not in 21st century forums, at any rate. It is honestly frustrating to see a typo or, like above, half of an HTML command and not to be able to do anything about it once SBMIT is pressed.

Arnie

If at first you don't succeed, try reading the instruction manual.
nonna ivana
Notabile
Notabile

Anch'io avevo un pochino commentato questo neo!!!
Poi mi sono abituata...basta essere "calmi", rileggere il proprio testo...contare fino a dieci e cliccare "submit".....
Buona giornata....o sei ancora a letto??????

:oops: :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

flag_uk [short translation by Adler]

I've made the same question time ago. Actually I read twice the text and I count to ten. Then "submit".
Have a nice day (or are you still in bed ?)

ivana

sono piccolo ma crescero
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da sono piccolo ma crescero »

Arnie Coburg ha scritto:If anybody can explain to me why one cannot edit one's own posts within a limited time frame, I would be very grateful to him or her indeed, because I certainly can't see any plausible reason to justify this restriction – not in 21st century forums, at any rate. It is honestly frustrating to see a typo or, like above, half of an HTML command and not to be able to do anything about it once SBMIT is pressed.
Because the feature was not present in PHPBB2, but only in PHPBB3, if I am not wrong. It is possible to upgrade PHPBB from release 2 to relase 3, but upgrading may be painful and, following some opinions, the new release has some security problems.

I like release 3, but I understand the administrator who doesn't upgrade and follows a conservative policy. ("se tuto funziona, meio no zercar rogne")

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

sono piccolo ma crescero ha scritto: I like release 3, but I understand the administrator who doesn't upgrade and follows a conservative policy. ("se tuto funziona, meio no zercar rogne")
Plus a lot of customization made by our administrator that will be lost after the upgrade :?

AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

Arnie Coburg ha scritto:I think I am going to stop contributing in this forum because I am so used to being able to correct my text after I have posted that it's driving me nuts not to be able to .

If anybody can explain to me why one cannot edit one's own posts within a limited time frame, I would be very grateful to him or her indeed, because I certainly can't see any plausible reason to justify this restriction – not in 21st century forums, at any rate. It is honestly frustrating to see a typo or, like above, half of an HTML command and not to be able to do anything about it once SBMIT is pressed.

Arnie
Arnie, I hope to have you here with us for a long time !
Anyway you can the answer here (in italian language).

Mal no far, paura no gaver.
urban
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da urban »

I doubt it's a matter of forum software, this looks like a fairly recent version and I've known much older ones to allow editing posts (I started using forums in 2001, and they allowed editing back then... 8 years is a looooong time in this context). Ivana has a point, the lack of an editing feature compels the poster to proofread his text and use the "Preview" button (I do at least a couple of times for each post). In my opinion, this is a welcome change in the current generation of "quick and dirty" writing. Patience is a skill that needs to be re-learnt in the 21st century.

Another possible reason is that I already witnessed situations where forum users would overuse the "edit" feature, to the point where the thread no longer made sense because everyone edited their posts... and not just for typos and grammar! That's extremely hard to keep track of: A writes "you're all a bunch of idiots" and B replies "you're stupid, go away", and A edits their first post to "hello my friends", the result is unsettling, to say the least. If you take such (extreme) situations into account, disallowing editing posts makes plenty of sense.

Anyway I believe you can delete your own post... PROVIDED that no-one has posted after you yet, so you have to be somewhat quick about it. That's a good compromise when you notice a mistake immediately after posting; but still, the "Preview" button is pretty handy.

urban
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da urban »

Meh. Nope, can't delete at all. My mistake, I was confusing with another forum.

nonna ivana
Notabile
Notabile

No, non si cancella e non si modifica!!!
Ma, ci sappiamo adattare, sempre, dovrebbe essere una caratteristica umana precipua!
Con vantaggi: il presto e bene è diseducante...stiamo un po' tranquilli, rivediamo le nostre stesse parole e tutto è più umanamente accettabile, rasserenante e ...piacevole!!!!

Buona giornata... :-D
smile!

flag_uk [short translation by Adler)

You cannot delete or edit !
Anyway adaptation is one of the most important characteristic of the human race.
"Fast" and "good" do not go together: paying attention slowly to the words can be relaxing e nice !

ivana

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Why can't we edit our posts ?

Messaggio da Ron »

Arnie has raised an interesting point.

I make postings on numerous blogs & forums and it's very much a question of "here I can do this" & "here I can't do that".

On one particular forum I can edit any of my posts but NOT the title of the thread.

What does sometimes amuses/intrigues me are the postings one sees written in Italian in this, the English section.

Finally I would remind you all of the student of English who reading a review in his newspaper that said "Cavalcade is pronounced a sucess" promptly went home and shot himself :lol:

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
babatriestina
senator
senator

Re: Why can't we edit our posts ?

Messaggio da babatriestina »

Ron ha scritto: What does sometimes amuses/intrigues me are the postings one sees written in Italian in this, the English section.
well, they think it is about English :-D :-D :-D

"mi credo che i scrivi sta roba per insempiar la gente" ( La Cittadella)
nonna ivana
Notabile
Notabile

Sorry!!!!

ivana

AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

Ron ha scritto:What does sometimes amuses/intrigues me are the postings one sees written in Italian in this, the English section.
Ron, for your understanding, I've made a rough translation of the italian words by "Grandma Ivana" :-)

flag_it

Nonna Ivana, ho aggiunto una traduzione spicciola dei tuoi pensieri. Spero non ci siano problemi.

Mal no far, paura no gaver.
nonna ivana
Notabile
Notabile

AdlerTS ha scritto:
Ron ha scritto:What does sometimes amuses/intrigues me are the postings one sees written in Italian in this, the English section.
Ron, for your understanding, I've made a rough translation of the italian words by "Grandma Ivana" :-)

flag_it

Nonna Ivana, ho aggiunto una traduzione spicciola dei tuoi pensieri. Spero non ci siano problemi.
No problem!

Thanks!
:-D

ivana

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

Ron, for your understanding, I've made a rough translation of the italian words by "Grandma Ivana"
Thanks a lot, but where is it ? :lol:

Ron

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
nonna ivana
Notabile
Notabile

Look at my posts, Mr. Adler may edit them!!!

Have a great day!
Ciao

ivana

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

Ivana

Thanks for that :lol:

Ciao e Auguri !

Ron

Torna a “English section”