Austrian Navy - K.u.K. Kriegsmarine

Regole del forum
Collegamenti al regolamento del forum in varie lingue ed alle norme sulla privacy in italiano.
babatriestina
senator
senator

Messaggio da babatriestina »

serlilian ha scritto: The book is "Österreichs Kriegsmarine, 1848-1918" (Austrian Navy 1848-1918) by Karl Gogg. .
I have the
Taschenbuch des Kriegsflotten XV Jahrgang .1914 and the same of 1912
mit 1045 Schiffsbilden Skizzen , Schattenrissen vorbehalten
Di B Weyer- a German book.
It has a description of all the warships of his time with images.
I inheredited from my father, who at time of the I W War added with satisfaction all the Austrohungarian sunken ships - 8) :lol:
Immagine

"mi credo che i scrivi sta roba per insempiar la gente" ( La Cittadella)
serlilian
distinto
distinto

Messaggio da serlilian »

babatriestina ha scritto:
serlilian ha scritto: Venice occupied our town some times, killing inhabitants and wanting a big ammount of money.
a big amount of money? how could they ask for it, from a little town as was Trieste at the time?
What is few money for a rich... should be a big ammount of money for a poor. 8)
Venetians also destroyed one or two towers, protecting the town.
Triest was very small, in fact. It had from 1,000 to 4,000 inhabitants. When the population seemed going to grow, an earthquake or a pestilence reduced it again.

[i]Liliana[/i]
- . - . -
[size=75][i]"Quando comincia una guerra, la prima vittima è la Verità.
Quando la guerra finisce, le bugie dei vinti sono smascherate,
quelle dei vincitori, diventano Storia."
(A. Petacco - La nostra guerra)[/size][/i]
serlilian
distinto
distinto

Messaggio da serlilian »

serlilian ha scritto: The book is "Österreichs Kriegsmarine, 1848-1918" (Austrian Navy 1848-1918) by Karl Gogg. .
I have the
Taschenbuch des Kriegsflotten XV Jahrgang .1914 and the same of 1912
mit 1045 Schiffsbilden Skizzen , Schattenrissen vorbehalten
Di B Weyer- a German book.
It has a description of all the warships of his time with images.
I inheredited from my father, who at time of the I W War added with satisfaction all the Austrohungarian sunken ships - 8) :lol:
I have one of them too, but this is German, as shown by the German Navy flag.
Then I have some published by the Austrian Navy, and on them too sunken ships are signed by a cross.
Allegati
A cross near "Zenta" sunk at the beginning of the war, and some new ships are added.
A cross near "Zenta" sunk at the beginning of the war, and some new ships are added.
Marine Almanach  014.jpg
Marine Almanach  013.jpg

[i]Liliana[/i]
- . - . -
babatriestina
senator
senator

serlilian ha scritto:
serlilian ha scritto: Venice occupied our town some times, killing inhabitants and wanting a big ammount of money.
a big amount of money? how could they ask for it, from a little town as was Trieste at the time?
To have an example, how much did they ask, and when?
because I have little notice of that, excepted for when they asked for good wine.. :-D but that was the same at the Dedition :wink:

serlilian
distinto
distinto

Messaggio da serlilian »

serlilian ha scritto:
babatriestina ha scritto:a big amount of money? how could they ask for it, from a little town as was Trieste at the time?
To have an example, how much did they ask, and when?
because I have little notice of that, excepted for when they asked for good wine.. :-D but that was the same at the Dedition :wink:
I don't remember where I read this notice, perhaps on a book about Triest of Leone Veronese.

[i]Liliana[/i]
- . - . -
Larry
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Larry »

:oops: :oops: Thank you ladies. That was a history lesson that I appreciated. You will have to give me an examination to sit when I get to Trieste in June. Not long now.
Larry

Auld acquaintance should ne'er be forgot
For the sake of auld lang's syne
gene odom
vilegiante
vilegiante

History of Trieste

Messaggio da gene odom »

While we are off on the subject of history can anyone tell me the different conquerors of Trieste in historical order. When Nora and I get into a squabble and she sticks her finger in my face and tells me how wrong she thinks I am I respond by accusing her of being a descendant of Atilla the Hun. Not an affectionate term I will admit but in the heat of an argument it usually is the first thing I can come up with that smacks of truth. I have the belief that the Huns were former conquerors of Trieste and left their mark on the population.

I think the Romans, Venetians, Huns, French under Napoleon, Austrians, United Nations (FTT), and Italy all at one time or another governed Trieste. Who did I leave out? I am doing this out of memory. I would appreciate help. After the Romans were there any other rulers such as the Franks, Turks, etc. that ruled Trieste. Was Trieste ever independent?

Gene

babatriestina
senator
senator

Re: History of Trieste

gene odom ha scritto: I have the belief that the Huns were former conquerors of Trieste and left their mark on the population.

I think the Romans, Venetians, Huns, French under Napoleon, Austrians, United Nations (FTT), and Italy all at one time or another governed Trieste. Who did I leave out? I am doing this out of memory. I would appreciate help. After the Romans were there any other rulers such as the Franks, Turks, etc. that ruled Trieste. Was Trieste ever independent?

Gene
Historians generally don't believe the Huns came to Trieste ( then still Tergeste), they destroyed Aquileia but probably didn't come here. More damage and more conquest was made by Longobards some time after. The Franks of Charlemagne alternated with Byzantins as heirs of the Roman Empire. From the Franks the city passed to the Empire wnich became German and the city had as feudal lords its bishops. During one or two centuries XIII and XIV century they bought the rights form the bishops and were self-governing as Comune under a Podestà.
The Turks never conquered the city. The Habsburg became lords of the city not by conquest but after a treaty, subscribed probably by necessity . Habsburg and Venice for some time disputed and conquered the city in alternance.

Coce
Ixolan
Ixolan

Pos subject

Messaggio da Coce »

Well Done!!! Beta , Lilian, your english is good enough, I am sure Larry understood very well. Ciao to you all Coce :-)

La vita
Piu' che la pendi
Piu' la rendi
Larry
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Larry »

:-D Coce, yes, I can understand the English written by Beta e Serlillian. One or two small errors which can be forgiven to a foreigner writing English the same as you friends forgive me when I write in Triestine and Italian. Mi pare che i scrivi sta roba per insempiar la gente and sure enough, with all that I have read above, I am really 'insempiado' over the history of Trieste. What I would really like to know - as I am sure my friend Gene would also - who (WHO) were the first inhabitants of the city? I know Beta was a professor and has a fantastic library in her apartment. In England we can go back to the Romans, the Anglo-Saxons, the Iron age, the Bronze age, when small tribes of people which I suppose we could classify as British lived in the country. But what of Trieste? Has any archeological research been conducted to establish who founded Trieste. Onviously Trieste once did not exist as a commercial port. Most probably it was a small fishing village. I have photographs of Trieste showing how it was in the 1300s, but I would like to know about its inhabitants BC. Or should I have said AC - Avanti Cristo?
We have a programmeon TV called 'Time Team' who carry out archaeological digs and they have discovered some wonderful Roman ruins all over England which have also shown they were overlaid on ruins of previous inhabitants. Graves and skeletons over 3000 years old. Absolutely incredible and I am fascinated by this, so, Baba, do you know anything of this? Serlillian, what do your books tell you.
Enough for now. Coce, in Australia, you can only go back to someone called Kelly. Beyond that you still have today what is, as far as we know, the race descended from the very first original inhabitants, namely, the Aboriginals. Just two sets of races. but Trieste? Un'incrocio of the western world from a time almost unknown? Who lived there first?
Larry

babatriestina
senator
senator

Larry ha scritto::- who (WHO) were the first inhabitants of the city?
of course, interesting question. I have some anwers, but before we have to reflect upon the word city you used.
The first inhabitants of this land didn't live in cities, of course. There was a small village , carnic, celtic, of which we have absolutelly nothing left in the area of the city, the historians suppose there was even before a castelliere in the area where is now san Giusto. The first city was buit by the Romans, who came here at the times of the Punic wars, that is about 200 B C. And when they pursued the local king, Epulo, the city where he made the last retrait was a Nesazio, an Histrian city. Of course, we can read about those times only by the books of Roman historians, since the other party at that time probably didn' t even know writing.
Its inhabitants were probably a lot of local people, some celts, but even the Celts were not autochtones but came here from elsewhere.. and some roman colons. They received the Roman citizenship at the time of Caesar ( the same who went to Britain :wink: a, round 50 B C )
If I remember well, they discovered some very ancient graves in the zone of Elleri, above Muggia, from prehistoric times.
I'm not a passionate of prehistory, I find it too confusing and too much hypothetical, in my humble opinion.
( I know my English can be questioned :oops: , but I hope you understand me however ) :-)

Coce
Ixolan
Ixolan

Post subject

Messaggio da Coce »

You are doing extremely well Beta, don't be shy.
Larry, you go easy with Australia's History because we have records of Aboriginal life in this country going back at least 40.000 years, not just a couple of thousand. Ciao Coce :-)

La vita
Piu' che la pendi
Piu' la rendi
babatriestina
senator
senator

Larry ha scritto: Has any archeological research been conducted to establish who founded Trieste. Onviously Trieste once did not exist as a commercial port. Most probably it was a small fishing village. I have photographs of Trieste showing how it was in the 1300s, but I would like to know about its inhabitants BC. Or should I have said AC - Avanti Cristo?
At the times when it was in fashion to have an hero founding the city, someone invented a founder called Tergesto :-D
In Roman times the city had a harbour ,some parts of it were discovered in the last diggings in Città vecchia, because at that time the sea was at the height of teatro Romano and Via Cavana.
in the 1300's of course one couldn't make photographs :-D :-D :-D :-D , so we can only see drawings of phantasy, generally made in the 1800's. Some of them recreate even the roman city.
For some name of inhabitants, we can see the inscription in the roman Theater , I - II cent, AD at the time of Emperor Trajan, given bt a Quinto Petronio Modesto
Immagine

this is another iscription, of a roman Coelius tergestinus
Immagine
in the local Museum.

Larry
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Larry »

:oops: Baba, for a lady who, unfortunately, suffers from impaired hearing, you write and compose English extremely well. But please, some more information on that King you mention. Now that does surprise me. Well, no,not really because I am used to hearing of Kings and Queens in our ancient history going back even before the Iron Age in habitants. Do you know of any more about this King? Oh yes, to learn about English, take a look at the posting I have made tonight. You may get a surprise.
Coce, that's what I tried to tell you last night. As far as Australian history is concerned you can only go back to when the Dutch discovered your continent and Capt. Cook and Ned Kelly. BUT, what name did the Aborigines give to it? Did they really know how big the place was? Did they have a written language. Or were they like our Stone Age people? And the strangest thing is that in all the films and documentaries/travelogues of Australia I cannot remember ever having seen that people living in a village or camp (such as the Red Indians in America).
Larry

babatriestina
senator
senator

Larry ha scritto: But please, some more information on that King you mention. Now that does surprise me. Well, no,not really because I am used to hearing of Kings and Queens in our ancient history going back even before the Iron Age in habitants. Do you know of any more about this King?
Well, in Roman history there were some kings, but they were overthrown and the kingship was not very appreciated by the Romans who until the Empire liked to think of themeselves as being self governing: senatus populusque romanus: the senate ande the people of Rome. For them the kings were something tribal... like your Baudicca..
this king Epulo ( Aepulus, I imagine..) is reported by Livius and Florus, two latin historians who wrote three centuries later.. he was a king of the Histri, which were not our modern Histrians but a people we know very little of, they had a capital city in Nesatium near Pola; at the beginning the fought very valiantly the Romans, but after a first battle ( possibly around Tergeste) they feasted their victory ( so told us Livius and particularly Florus) and were surprised by the romans legions, guided by the consuls. The romans followed them into the Histria and king Epulus committed suicide instead of surrending ( like some Rajputs in India against the British ?). That was around 177 BC.

here a link in english
http://www.istrianet.org/istria/archeol ... story1.htm

'King' Epulo (aka Epulone or Aepulo), whose name to the Romans resembled a Latin word which means a party-goer or even a drunkard), an uncompromising ruler, eager to fight, took the leadership of the Histrians and immediately began preparing to resist. The Romans sent an army against him in 178 BC, with expectations that were at first not fulfilled. On the contrary, one foggy morning the Histrians shrewdly surprised and routed it, so much so that the Romans had to abandon on the field of battle all their supplies of food and wine. This, however, was in turn fatal for the Histris, who despite their physical superiority and warlike ardour were, according to contemporary descriptions, much given to dissolute habits. As a result, by late afternoon they were in a complete drunken stupor and were easily defeated, many being killed and the survivors taken captive.

The Histri became famous for their epic resistance against the Romans. After the initial setback, the Romans subdued them only after receiving very substantial reinforcements from Rome. In 178 B.C., the decisive battle began near the legendary Nesactium. Consul A. Manlio Vulsone marched with many legions against the Histri who opposed the strengthening of the colony of Aquileia. They were led by King Epule who was elected to his station. For a long time the Histris put up a resistance for two years from their tribal, political and religious centre. But when the Romans diverted the river that for protection circled the fortifications, the Histris became convinced that it was a miracle - 'miraculo terruit abscissae aquae', as it was described by the Roman historian Livy - and seized by panic, in order that they should not be taken alive, they started killing their women and children and throwing them over the walls in front of their horrified enemies. King Epulo also, like so many of his fearless warriors, died by his own hand, run through by his own sword.

trieste1
vilegiante
vilegiante

Austrian torpedo boats 2

Messaggio da trieste1 »

Hi here is a scan of a recent aquitisition showing torpedo boats again? Or are these subs?
aldo
Allegati
TorpedoBoats2.jpg

serlilian
distinto
distinto

Re: Austrian torpedo boats 2

Messaggio da serlilian »

trieste1 ha scritto:Hi here is a scan of a recent aquitisition showing torpedo boats again? Or are these subs?
aldo
Hi. It's a torpedo boat. Can you read some letters of the name? It has been cut, but maybe on the postcard you can see a little more. Do you see? Down, at the edge of the postcard.
Is it KUH.... ? I cannot find any torpedo boat with those letters.

[i]Liliana[/i]
- . - . -
serlilian
distinto
distinto

Messaggio da serlilian »

Found! I have the same postcard. It's "KORMORAN", then "72F". Built in 1907-1909 in Fiume (now Rijeka, in Croatia). 200 tons, speed 25 knots, long 55 meters, wide 5,5 meters, crew 31 men.

[i]Liliana[/i]
- . - . -
trieste1
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da trieste1 »

Thank you
I found the same information on http://www.stile.coventry.ac.uk/cbs/sta ... y/tb72.htm

Tb 72F 1908 Kormoran

1914 in the Bocche for Montenegrin blockade. 06 Nov 1914 boiler change.

Feb 1915 trials with experimental equipment. 03 Mar 1915 on reconnaissance off Antivari. 17 Jun 1915 in action against Rimini.

22 Feb 1916 at Fiume. 19 Mar 1916 at Rogoznica. 04 Jul 1916 searching for submarine in Gulf of Fiume. Nov 1916 to May 1917 in Cattaro.

Aug 1917 at Pola for boiler change. 19 Oct 1917 at Sebenico.

14 Apr 1918 towed Tb 56T from Sebenico to Pola. 22 Oct 1918 at Fiume.

To UK but b/u in Italy 1920.

I think that's amazing!!!!

Aldo

serlilian
distinto
distinto

Messaggio da serlilian »

trieste1 ha scritto:Thank you
I found the same information on http://www.stile.coventry.ac.uk/cbs/sta ... y/tb72.htm
You're welcome.
Interesting web site!

[i]Liliana[/i]
- . - . -

Torna a “English section”