A British soldier returns to Sicily after 66 years

Regole del forum
Collegamenti al regolamento del forum in varie lingue ed alle norme sulla privacy in italiano.
Ron
ixolan
ixolan

A British soldier returns to Sicily after 66 years

Messaggio da Ron »

Ciao

I thought that some of the friends I've made on this forum might be interested to learn about my return to Sicily this year.

I spent about a month in Sicily during the fighting in WW2 and crossed over to Italy (via the Messina Straits) in September 1943.

The last time I made the trip I was in a boat just big enough for two vehicles called a LCM (Landing Craft Men) but this time it was on a car ferry big enough to carry 150 vehicles and I was accompanied by my wife and partner of 60 years :lol:

Whilst in Reggio di Calabria we paid a brief visit to the Museo Nazionale di Reggio di Calabria to see the famous Riace Bronzes.

Best wishes to all

Ron
Allegati
Messina to Villa San Giovanni.jpg
Villa San Giovanni to Reggio Calabria.jpg
Riace Bronzes.JPG

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

I understand that you never been there between WW2 and today, right ?

Mal no far, paura no gaver.
Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

Precisely !

Ron

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

Have you got the feeling that there are more changes in the land or in the people ?

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

I would have been more surprised if there had been no changes in the people :roll:

Don't forget, it was 66 years since I was last in Sicily.

We stayed, by the way, in Taormina which was only 37 miles both from Catania Airport where we landed and Messina which was my major reason for returning.

I don't know whether you know Taormina, but there is a Greek Amphitheatre there and there is an entrance fee to be paid.

I always ask for a senior citizen's discount when visiting public places like that but on this occasion when the asked for "documente" to prove my age the only item I had on me was some WW2 photos of me in uniform.

When I asked if that was "sufficiamente" the girls in the ticket office all cried out "complimente !" and my wife and I were promptly ushered in at no charge :lol:

AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

The picture is much more impressive :wink:

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

The picture is much more impressive
I thought you might like to see the sheet that I showed the girls and that got us into the amphitheatre for nothing :lol:
Allegati
Ron's WW2 Travels.JPG.jpeg

Torna a “English section”