a BETFOR wedding

Regole del forum
Collegamenti al regolamento del forum in varie lingue ed alle norme sulla privacy in italiano.
vorwaerts
vilegiante
vilegiante

a BETFOR wedding

Messaggio da vorwaerts »

I thought to share here a family picture : the lady portraited here on her wedding day is my grandmom's sister (she's still alive and lives in UK), and the british soldier was her husband William Wallace. He passed away in the middle 80's. They used to live in Monfalcone but then she moved to UK and live with her son, who also had a military career (well, her grandson too!).
I never knew much about "Willy", but he could speak italian and I think he was in the Intelligence.If anybody remembers him, that could be interesting.

Immagine

Geoff
naufrago
naufrago

Messaggio da Geoff »

As a member of The BETFOR Association, I took the opportunity of showing the photo of your grandma's sister's wedding to my fellow members to see if they remembered William Wallace. Several remember him as he was a Scotsman who had an Italian mother, hence his good command of the language.
His job in BETFOR was in charge of the transport belonging to the Trieste Security Office (The Intelligence Corps, as you surmised). Apparently they used local civilian drivers who he controlled. If your Great Aunt is still around in the UK, she might like to make contact with our organization.

vorwaerts
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da vorwaerts »

Hi Geoff,
thanks for the extra informations about "uncle Willy", as I used to call him when I was a child. We are still very close with his son and grandson, and we meet every year, so I'll pass the word. Unfortunately William's wife, my grandma's sister, passed away few months ago at age 90 something. My "cousin" has anyway a son too now, and his name is William too,like his great grandfather. I read that some of you are about to come to Trieste for a reunion, let me know if you'll come as well. Cheers Matt

PS - I still keep some of William's gear and medals, since I've been collecting such things since over 30 years now, especially 88th TRUST and BETFOR , and his son donated some to me.

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

Matteo

Why don't you join the BETFOR Association? I am a member too..and my only merit was to have been born in Trieste :lol:
If I am correct, Geoff is the editor of the Betfor newsletter which is always a very interesting reading.

vorwaerts
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da vorwaerts »

Hello Macondo, that would be indeed nice, because I am always interested in all regarding their stay in Trieste. I'd have alot of questions to ask them too.

Geoff
naufrago
naufrago

A BETFOR Wedding

Messaggio da Geoff »

Hello vorwaerts.

A party of BETFORveterans with their wives and partners will be visiting Trieste between 10th and 17th June 2009. I will be among them and most of us will be staying at the Hotel Italia. It would be most interesting to meet up with you, if possible.

If you have not already found it, the address of our website is http://betforassociation.org

vorwaerts
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da vorwaerts »

Hi geoff,

your hotel is just near my home. I will be glad to meet you! I actually have quite alot of things to ask you guys. I'm sending you a pm with my e-mail.
Unfortunately, due to the world crisis and the effects in UK and on the £, this year my relatives will not come to Italy, otherwise it would have been nice to ask them to join us.

Torna a “English section”